• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Smith Miniplane

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjkirby2000

Aerobat, Hawk-XP, Lancair Super-ES, Smith MiniPL
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score

Hey guys-I'm new to the forum son forgive me for chiming in about such a small topic. I just purchased a Smith Mini Plane DSA-1. First flight on Sunday (1/9/11) scared the bejeesers out of me. I am a Lancair Super ES Driver with 2,600TT/700 hours in the Lancair and the other time in Cessnas. I flew with Superstar Steve Wolf in his S2-B to get a feel for the tailwheel concept, feel and technique and little aerobatics. I departed from our grass strip here at home with 10-15kt winds right down the middle of the runway. Flew to 4K and stalled it a couple of times and burned off about 15 minutes fuel before attempting the low-pass to get the feel for the runway. I hit spoiled air on the approach end where the trees were and lost my courage. I concluded that I would either die or be the first to take off and never land. After three more attempts I decided to go four miles to a paved field with less surface air friction. The airplane landed beautifully on the first and nine more. Monday i departed the pavement and flew about 1.5 before attempting one (so-so) landing. Tuesday with nearly calms winds after the fog I landed her 28 times during a sortie of 2.5 hours, Crosswind, downwind, pavement and finally got the courage up to land at home on grass. Smith Mini Plane N1321 is exactly as represented by the seller. It's and absolute hoot (barrel of fun) to fly; cruises at 120 with my 170 carcass and a first aid bag full of shock treatments. Powered with only 80hp Franklin engine-I think it is the perfect simple tail-wheel, aerobatic, experimental, 4gph, $457 insurance premium,under $10Kinvestment I could have made. With only 80 horses and one seat my next airplane can only be better anticipated by my wife. She says, "I wanna go". Perfect! My S2-B is closer than I thought-heheheh.
20110112_203245_Miniplane_640x4.jpg
t you think?

<admin: moved post to its own thread. Please start your own thread when posting a new topic.

Latest posts

Back