• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Smith noob

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

USArmyEOD

Reaction score
I've done all the searches, done all the reading, just looking for some more recent advice. I've recently purchased a SMP with an O-290D2, fully canopy, inverted fuel and oil, and an all around around smooth machine. Obviously as this thread would imply i've never flown an SMP, and all my tailwheel time has been somewhat gentle monoplanes (J3, Super D, Citabria, the easy stuff with winds down the runway). Just wondering if theres anything with regards to the prebuy I need to know about or the TO/landings. I've spoken to quite a few pilots and read all the the articles on the internet, and everything seems straight forward, just can't hear it too many times. I will be landing on concrete (unless wind is 90 to the runway and gusty) and it does have cessna gear, but anything I need to look out for other than the extreme obvious? I know keep power in on the approach, keep the approach tight, fly it 80-90 over the fence, and watch for over control, but its been a while since I've flown tail wheel and I suppose theres no such thing as too much information. I've got the advice from the experts, but those current in the make and model is welcome and appreciated. The only dual tail wheel instruction within 200 miles is a sport cub at 165 an hour, which doesn't seem that applicable anyway. I'm not an extremely high time tailwheel pilot, but as far as performance tailwheels go this seems about as....not easy....but by the book as is it can get. I understand the big points, keep the approach tight, stay fast, keep in front of the airplane, and use the 290 to go around the second it doesn't feel right. Anything else anyone can think of? Thanks for all your time and insight!

Latest posts

Back