• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Smoke on O-320 with Four seperate pipes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjkirby2000

Aerobat, Hawk-XP, Lancair Super-ES, Smith MiniPL
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
How about some thoughts on this topic. I have an O-320 with four separate pipes. I really don't want to change the exhausts and take them into the cowling with a four into one or something. I have four of Marvin Homsely's injectors, a pump and everything else I need.

Is my thinking right that I should have four injectors to keep a good steady flow of smoke rather than sending morse code with only two pipes smoking with little puffs every time the exhaust stroke comes around? How close to the cylinder can I place the nozzles? The front pipes are 8" and the rear pipe are 10" long (or vice versa). Also, I need a model number for a throttle position switch to protect against leaving the smoke on during low power settings.

Regarding the anticipated PMs about asking my nearby pro for his input, he eats too much for me to just buy his lunch over this one and I respect his hourly rate. Besides, I like to keep your brains working! :). I'm thinking of starting with two and then adding the other two IF I need them... (pretty clever, ey)? Yes, the cockpit will be IFR during smoke maneuvers-but at least when the tower says they can't see me I can switch on the smoke and I won't be able to see them either. :O

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back