• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Soon in the market for a pitts S2B

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highlife

Reaction score

Can anyone let me know if they plan on having a pitts S2B for sale in the next 8-12 months. How much can I expect to spend on a nice clean low time S2B (~ less then 400 hr smoh and maybe around 1000 hr or less tt), between the cost of the plane, pre buy inspections, plane tickets to get to the plane, AOPA escrow, insurance and fuel to get it back to where I live.
I will be flying it back with a very high time CFI in type and will not be touching the controls solo until I have at least 50 hrs in the plane or when ever we are both 100% positive im ready to solo. I am almost thinking 200 hrs in type before I solo, no sense in totaling out the plane and killing myself. My CFI has agreed to go in advance of me to look at the plane once we find one that we think we like since he gets free air fare. We are hoping to find one in arizona, nevada, utah, colorado, etc somewhere where there is little corrosion.

I have noticed that its hit or miss for nice S2B's on barn stormers so I thought I would try here, I know its out a ways from my purchase date but the time goes quick and the process to buying a plane like this is like buying a house so wanted to get a jump start.

I also wanted to start plotting out a course in advance as I understand the S2B only has a 277 nm range and that could be an issue for some of the legs I need to travel, I may have to get out of the plane and put in a fuel bladder and have my CFI finish the trip and I would have to find a way home lol, we want to avoid taking it apart and trucking it.Edited by: highlife

Latest posts

Back