• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Spar...Hair line crack

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patioed

PATIOED
Reaction score
I've been a little quiet since I sold my Pitts to Kevin and acquired the Eagle 540 but I need some opinions...I've had the Eagle for about a year in AZ (was an Ohio airplane prior) and decided to do a major tear down and just look at everything...and the good news is everything checked out perfect except this one wing issue discovered by the AP/AI who has lots of experience with these types of airplanes...to the point...Right lower wing, trailing edge spar has what appears to be a "hair line" crack along the grain line from the wing tip about 1/3 of the way in and then it stops...it only shows on the leading edge side of the spar and not on the trailing edge side...if you scratch you fingernail across it, there is about a 4 inch area where you can feel a very thin separation......so, the question is What to do...AI says not 100% sure, lets get a second opinion...second opinion by a restorer in Elroy, AZ...says, Mark the end of the crack and watch it...just by way of information, if you stress the wing up or down...there is no movement in the crack...I was also told that this can be fixed with a gusset per FAA 4 something (have not looked it up yet)
I attached some pictures to help the discussion and Hi jacked one of Cameron's wing pictures to show the extent of this "crack" (thanks Cameron)...so, any ideas????

Wing 1.jpg

Image 1.jpg

Image 2.jpg

image 3.jpg

image 4.jpg

Latest posts

Back