• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Spar material

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

footloose

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've wondered off into possession of a few Stearman spars . Haven't cleaned them up yet or planed them for inspection . I'm aware of the knowledge and experience of members here on the Forum so opinions and input towards cutting and shaping for use in spars that can be used in a smaller/thinner airfoil such as an AcroSport , Pitts , or Smith Miniplane would be very helpful and definately appreciated . One of my concerns is the existing hardware holes in the spars . It appears that there is no possible way to rip the dimensions without having to contend with holes somewhere in the intended new use . Another concern is length . I'm playing around mostly with the Smith mini's and they have a one piece upper wing with 17 ft. span . The majority of these spars are 16 ft. in length and will need a splice . This leaves me to believe that a splice in the center of the wing , between the cabanes would be acceptable ? . Pitts upper wings are spliced in the center and swept but have a completely different cabane design . I don't plan any activity really soon on new wings but the longer I have to toss the options around the clearer it can become . Thanx ahead for any input that you might interject . I never stop learning . When that time comes , there's gonna be a hellova garage sale . Thanx šŸ’

Latest posts

Back