• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Biplane Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Specific EAA biplane wanted

mitchb

Reaction score
For all / everyone in the EAA Biplane world, I'm searching for the EAA Bipe (P2) my Father built:
Completed around 1973 in NW Indiana. Original Reg was N3GB (may have been changed?). His name was Glen Ballard.
I've talked to the third owner... He damaged the lower wing and repaired it. It was originally white, but he painted it Yellow after the repairs. He sold it shortly afterward to a Father / Son named Davis or Davidson in Versailles, MO.

There, the trail goes cold. Anyone know this plane?

christopher

Reaction score
I've seen some ads recently for planes for sale in Versailles MO, You might be able to contact some of them for info?

raymoeller

Reaction score
Did you call the FAA Registration Branch in Oklahoma City to see if they can research it for you? I started my quest to secure an 'N' number that was on an airplane my dad owned in the 80's, but was cancelled when he sold the airplane to Mission Aviation Fellowship and it was sent out of the country. The number then was assigned to another plane that was destroyed in a crash in '96 and was "in question" according to the database. With the advice given by a helpful inspector in Oklahoma City, and the power of the internet search engines, I was able to track down the builder (now 90 years old!) and within 3 weeks I now have that number reserved for my project when it's finished. I'm sure a number of us know exactly how personal your quest is.. for me, it was the tail number of the airplane that I earned all my ratings through my CFII in.. and spent hundreds of great hours flying with my dad, who passed a couple of years ago.. but I'm sure he'd find it pretty slick that in a couple years a family member will once again be transmitting our old call-sign while taking wing on a beautiful summer afternoon. Good luck with your quest!

raymoeller

Reaction score
This link:
http://www.city-data.com/aircraft/air-Versailles-Missouri.html

provided this:

Aircraft: PIPER PA-23 (Category: Land, Engines: 2, Seats: 5, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds, Speed: 150 mph), Engine: LYCOMING 0-320 SERIES (180 HP) (Reciprocating)
N-Number: 1327P , Serial Number: 23-371, Year manufactured: 1955, Airworthiness Date: 12/12/1955
Registrant (Individual): Reported Sale, Rt 1 Box 131, Versailles, MO 65084

as well as

Aircraft: BALLARD EAA BIPE P-2 (Category: Land, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds, Speed: 85 mph), Engine: LYCOMING 0-235 SERIES (115 HP) (Reciprocating)
N-Number: 3GB , Serial Number: GB1, Year manufactured: 1974
Registrant (Individual): Reported Sale, Rr 1 Box 131, Versailles, MO 65084

and
Aircraft: DAVIDSON THOMAS C TD-9 (Category: Land, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds), Engine: VOLKSWAGEN CONVERSION (36 HP) (Reciprocating)
N-Number: 32TD , Serial Number: D-481-9, Year manufactured: 1981, Airworthiness Date: 08/25/1981
Registrant (Individual): Thomas C Davidson, Rr 1 Po Box 131, Versailles, MO 65084

and

Aircraft: COFER B-8M (Category: Land, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds, Speed: 45 mph), Engine: AMA/EXPR UNKNOWN ENG (Reciprocating)
N-Number: 46358 , Serial Number: 2197, Year manufactured: 1977, Airworthiness Date: 03/18/1980
Registrant (Individual): Thomas C Davidson, Rt 1 Po Box 131, Versailles, MO 65084

Maybe that will provide a lead or two for you?

raymoeller

Reaction score
By the way, if you go to www.faa.gov website and search the Airmen Certification under the License & Certificates tab, Thomas C Davidson is listed there with his latest address information, which I won't post. If he's still with us, it looks like he's up there in age judging from the date of his certificate issuance.

mitchb

Reaction score
Posted by: raymoeller
On: 12-22-2012 05:27 AM

Did you call the FAA Registration Branch in Oklahoma City to see if they can research it
for you? I started my quest to secure an 'N' number that was on an airplane my dad owned
in the 80's, but was cancelled when he sold the airplane to Mission Aviation Fellowship
and it was sent out of the country. The number then was assigned to another plane that
was destroyed in a crash in '96 and was "in question" according to the
database. With the advice given by a helpful inspector in Oklahoma City, and the power of
the internet search engines, I was able to track down the builder (now 90 years old!) and
within 3 weeks I now have that number reserved for my project when it's finished. I'm
sure a number of us know exactly how personal your quest is.. for me, it was the tail
number of the airplane that I earned all my ratings through my CFII in.. and spent
hundreds of great hours flying with my dad, who passed a couple of years ago.. but I'm
sure he'd find it pretty slick that in a cou
ple years a family member will once again be transmitting our old call-sign while taking
wing on a beautiful summer afternoon. Good luck with your quest!
This - I will do. Thank you for the lead.

Beej

Creator of this place
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Please don't create duplicate threads.

mitchb

Reaction score
Posted by: raymoeller
On: 12-22-2012 01:36 PM

By the way, if you go to <a
href="/external-link/?c=2&site=www.biplaneforum.com&url=http://www.faa.gov"
target="_blank">www.faa.gov</a> website and search the Airmen
Certification under the License & Certificates tab, Thomas C Davidson is listed there
with his latest address information, which I won't post. If he's still with us, it looks
like he's up there in age judging from the date of his certificate issuance.

All the best,
The Biplane Forum

Another lead to follow. Again - thx.
Found this address a while back. Mailed letter to that address - received no response. Looked to connect name to address to a possible phone number - no joy.

After the sale to Versailles, MO owners around (actually it was 23 FEB 1985), there is simply no activity to be found on the Internet...

I suppose a little background is in order:
I was about 7 years old when my Father - a basic VFR PP - started this EAA Bipe project. Completed five years later - just after we moved to Arkansas from IN. Another EAA'er made an offer to buy - and with money needed after the move and job change, the A/C was sold to a Paul Sarbow (sp?) in Hobart IN. My Father NEVER flew the airplane.
He went on to own a C-150 (that I owned after his death), and finished / rebuilt a T-Craft and Stits FlutterBug.

I grew up, ultimately going to Navy flight Training. The knowlege of aircraft construction dynamics / aerodynamics absorbed while sniffing the smells of fabric dope, acetylene welding, and ten different glues is certainly what got me through the training. I went on to TWA for seven years, and have just finished my 28th year in the Navy Reserves.
While I no longer pilot for a living, I continue to work in the Aircraft industry (Unmanned Air operations - much of it Classified...).

I now have re-newed interest in flying. I have part interest in a Beech A-36 for business trips, but would like to have a "fun" plane.

I would like to aquire my Dad's old Bipe if avail. I do not have nearly the craftsman skills of my Father, but to re-build it would be a great project.
If found, and the current owner wants to keep it - I have a large cache of fotos during construction, and the original plans. All of it should stay with the airplane.

I'll keep looking. However - a Steen Skybolt would be nice as well...:D

Latest posts