• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

SS wing mods pics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barchiola

This space available.
Reaction score

here's a link to some pics I took.

http://picasaweb.google.com/Barchiola/LowerWingAilMods?feat=directlink

I just came up from hanging the first aileron so I'm a bit dazed since it's been such a long time to get to this.
As for the design, it's a bit nonstandard. I made the spar to be the full height of the aileron (that's an extra 1/2 inch in real spar structural dimensions!) and attached front and rear rib pieces as you'll see in the pics. The steel tube is doing double duty adding rigidity and weight while giving me somewhere to load additional balance weight.
There are triangular blocks at the top and bottom of the rear rib pieces reinforcing the attach point. The leading edge sheeting will wrap to the back of those pieces beyond the spar to capture the upper and lower rear capstrips and then get routed flush with the rear of the spar in between the ribs. Also, those capstrips have a 1/16" wide by 1/8" deep groove machined in them to accept the plywood webs kind of like an engineered I-joist in home construction.
It's a bit more complicated than building ribs and sliding them on but I really wanted to have the full height spar and two hinges yet didn't feel comfortable using the stock spar extended to a roughly 54" span.
I'm going to digest all of this before proceeding to build the other three ailerons. I believe I've got the kinks worked out but would appreciate any comments if they contribute to the evolution of things.
Cheers,
Bart

Edited by: barchiola

Latest posts

Back