• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Star Duster SA-100 Revival and Questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parkerpittspilot

Reaction score
Hey all, back in August, I embarked on a new build. I bought an SA-100 that Lou Stolp himself built in 63. It has a serial number of LS3 and was in pretty bad shape. I disassembled the whole airplane, bead blasted it, and painted it with Stits' two part epoxy. It looks about 30 times different than before, so I give it a thumbs up. I'll occasionally updated this as I move forward. With combined time of stripping the paint and then blasting it as well as painting it, I probably have 40-50 hours in that alone. It has an 0-290G, which I'm contemplating upgrading to an 0-320 and putting high compression pistons in. But that's for future thought. I'll post some pics later.

My question is this: Anyone know where the hell I can find the right size pulleys? I have vintage Formica pulleys. The plans call for for 2" d pulleys and then a 1" d pulley near the tale. Under that, it calls for a 1.25" d pulley. I've looked at the pictures I took disassembling, and I've measured all of the pulleys.. These things don't add up. The plans were dated 12-4-58. I feel as though he deviated from the plans a lot when building though. The plane deviates where the main fuel tank sits and how the tubing is formed to hold the tank. Generally, the plane seems to have been made for aerobatics rather than the standard SA-100 model. The landing gear is different as well, and some other things deviate from the plans. If anyone has any suggestions on the pulleys, I'd appreciate the advice. These are the pulleys for the rudder.

Thank you!

Latest posts

Back