• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Starduster II wing fabric question from new SD owner

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, a couple buddies and I bought a 540 powered Starduster II recently and we have a few questions about some fabric/fuel tank center section issues that have recently developed.

One area is on the top of the wing near the outboard section of the upper fuel tank. Under the fabric there appears to be screws or nails that are backing out vertically (upward) that hold what feels like a metal retaining strip that runs span wise. Or it could be holding down the aft edge of the leading edge wrapping material, IDK never having built one. Anyway this area runs span wise along the top center section spar as best I can tell. I will try to attach a picture and short video.

The second area is the trailing edge tape on lower trailing edge of lower wings. About 2 ribs outboard from the root rib the tape is peeling off the trailing edge, it is getting beat up from the slipstream of the constant speed two bladed prop which turns up pretty high. The area with the peeling is directly behind the tip of the prop.

I have been lurking on this Biplane forum the last two months and have learned a lot already. If anyone here has ideas on fixes for these two issues I would appreciate it. We don't have plans or drawings for the SD so not sure about the area around the tank on upper wing. Suggestions are appreciated.

thanks, alan miller

Attachments

• SD pic.jpg
    SD pic.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 128

Latest posts

Back