• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Starduster SA 100 Trim

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1 Albee

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Working on a Starduster SA 100, that has a jackscrew controlling the leading edge of horizontal stabilizer for trim, there is about 1.5 inches of total travel on the forward end of the stabilizer using this trim system. I have not flown the A/C, but have been advised by a past pilot (very high time) that adjusting the trim on the ground was easy. But in the air it was nearly impossible (two hands required). The jackscrew is operated by a Cessna style trim wheel & drum with an endless cable to the jackscrew, the cable is not slipping on the drum or on the attach point on the jackscrew. I have cleaned and lubed the jackscrew and it operates from the cockpit with two fingers on the ground, again I have not flown the A/C, but it does have about 1,000 hr.'s on the clock. I have worked on a bunch of fabric Pipers with this same setup with no problems. Any ideas ? has anyone else run into this issue?
Thanks Phil

Latest posts

Back