• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Starduster Too Aileron Bellcrank Stops

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lotahp1

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello guys,

I’m slowly but surely making progress on the Range Duster! I have the new lower right wing partially glued up, rigging wing now before I finish gluing it up. Figured if I rig it and build it on the fuselage it’s darn near going to Have to fit! ;-) Anyhow, I’m curious about what y’all have done about Aileron Bellcrank stops. The plans only have stops for the ailerons on the torque tube but because the ailerons can “overcenter” lock when the plane goes backwards (like during a botched hammerhead etc) I know others have installed stops at the Bellcrank also. I figure it’s a good idea and easy to do at this stage so I’d like to do it. I’m thinking of doing it this way:
1) Rig wings and ailerons to correct throw.
2) glue a solid spruce wedge to the spar (that is “faced” with 1/8” plywood so the spruce block won’t have a tendency to crank) that acts as the stop and contacts the Bellcrank when at the correct Aileron throw.

Another idea was to weld up something that pick up the bolts that hold on the Bellcrank mount. It could be a entirely welded up thing...or I’d prefer something that had a adjustable bolt on it so you could adjust it.

My biggest issue is I’m not a welder, I have access to a good welder if I make up the parts and or drawing. That’s why I was leaning towards the glued on block method.

I’m remembering something about the Gold Duster and they had the glued on block and it failed or something? And that played a part in its demise? I can’t recall if the block split and that’s what facing it with spruce came up or if it had nothing to do with that and the Bellcrank under the seat bent and that’s the failure so the block didn’t play a part in the chain of events leading up to the crash? (I’m thinking I heard or read somewhere it would be a good idea to face it with plywood, maybe I came up with that? I don’t recall really, but sounds like a good idea)

As always, I’m overthinking it I’m sure.

One last question, I can’t remember if it’s better to make contact at the Bellcrank a fraction of a tiny bit first or at the torque tube a wee bit first?
IMG_1489.jpg

Latest posts

Back