Starduster Too elevator width?

Discussion in 'Starduster' started by BeauxG, Dec 10, 2017.

1. Dec 10, 2017 #1

BeauxG

BeauxG

BeauxG

Registered Users

Hey y'all,

I'm looking at a project plane and need to know how wide the tail is for trailering and storage. Removing the horizontal stab isn't a deal breaker, I'd just like to know in advance.

Thanks,

Beaux

2. Dec 10, 2017 #2

mc06854

mc06854

mc06854

app 8 foot 7 inches

3. Dec 11, 2017 #3

Lotahp1

Lotahp1

Lotahp1

Supporting Member Supporting Member

I trailed my Starduster Too home from Murfreesboro TN to OKC and left the horizontal and elevators on. Just gotta be mindful as you drive.

4. Dec 11, 2017 #4

BeauxG

BeauxG

BeauxG

Registered Users

Thanks for the quick replies. I can work with that.

5. Dec 15, 2017 #5

Saber

Saber

Saber

If the trailer is open I'd pull them off, it's a easy job and only a few mins.If you ding one you will spend a lot of time repairing. Even a minor stone thru the fabric will cost .

6. Dec 15, 2017 #6

Lotahp1

Lotahp1

Lotahp1

One more thing...if you decide to leave them on...make control locks. I took a couple 2x2s and padded them(I think I cut up a $7 moving blanket to pad all three gust locks) . Then have someone hold them, one on top of elevator and horizontal one on bottom of elevator and horizontal. Now use duct tape to tape the two ends together that are sticking out forward of parts and aft if parts. I did same thing for rudder. Just do it however, so they can’t come off and allow elevators or rudder to flop around. But also don’t damage the paint etc by adding a bunch of duct tape or not padding your homemade gust locks enough. Just a tip.

7. Dec 16, 2017 #7

Saber

Saber

Saber

Thinking back to last Dec. my StarDuster II was delivered by a shipped in a closed trailer. It was disassembled by kids and everything was in a pile and flying wires partly still on and hardware in a bag. LOL, HOPE YOUR NOT IN THAT POSITION. Wow what a job sorting thru that mess. Anyway over the years I've seen planes moved both ways and it's usually OK left on if you do. What Lotahp1 said. If you take it apart mark where the wires go and in what direction. Count the number of twist you loosen the wires. I would loosen all the same number. Back the nuts off and two pairs of needle nose vice grips with 3/8" rubber or plastic hose over the jaws on each end of the wire and turned together works great for both assembly/ adjustment and disassembley. That's all I have, good luck it will go good I'm sure.

8. Dec 17, 2017 #8

BeauxG

BeauxG

BeauxG

Registered Users

It would be on an open trailer and it sounds like removing the horizontal might be easier than making gust locks. I'm thinking about okie-flyer's repair project over in eastern Oklahoma. The price is very attractive but I don't want to bite off more than I can chew.

9. Dec 18, 2017 #9

Lotahp1

Lotahp1

Lotahp1

After the holidays I can make a trip to go take a look. Not sure what your skill set is? Was this the one maybe going to a school?