• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Starduster too lighting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martinb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hope everyone had a great christmas and newyears!
Over the holdiays i had some time to run out to the shop (between cleaning snow every other day), and i was taking notice of something that didnt alarm me but kinda made me put up a big questionmark???... lol
As being new to homebuilt and purchasing this sa300 project from a veteran but now deceist builder, being all the wings , tailsections control surfaces and fuse are covered already, i noticed the wing tips were drilled at the center of the radius with a 1/4” hole...
Id asumed the prev builder had them in a roticery , for painting/ silver etc.
But what caught my attention was that the tips were drilled into “wood” not the 4130 tube thats supposed to be plan construction material lol
A- should i be alarmed? Its had its pre cover inspection and nothing from any calls or questions ive asked have indicated this construction method of area to be worrysome ,
B- being that i wanted to pull wiring thru the wings for tip lighting etc, being that its wood construction , and polyfibre covering, i could simply dis-adhear the fabric in that area and build up proper wood boss for lighting screws /fastening etc,
C- being that there is nothing pre strung in the aircraft for wiring except the alum plate behind rear seat area for radio/elt etc, and coax in fuse , whats the best method to install wire thru the wings to the tips?, as im sure id one day want to fly into local areas that require mandatory lighting and the ocasional evening weekend landing lol
Thanks in advance everyone!
Ill post piks once i finish my hot morning coffee and dress to walk out into our freezing canadian -20f ...
Brrr

Latest posts

Back