• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Starduster Too lower wing rear spar replacement

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lotahp1

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok guys. I'm going to finally work on the lower right wing from the Range Duster! (Dave Baxter called it that and it's kinda growing on me!) it's what I believe is a stock Starduster Too lower right wing. In the ground loop my ferry pilot had it damaged the aft spar. I'll take pics. Per the AC 43.13 a spar is suppose to be spliced 12" away from any fittings. There simply isn't a place in this wing to do that. I also do not like repaired spars if you can change. In the future there is no damage repair to have to explain etc it will all be fixed like it was new. Soooo I have a new piece of spar material from ACS that is already cut to width and height...I just have to trim taper for the tip. My plan is to use a "multi tool" with a very thin bland to cut out spar next to Ribs taking away as little rib material as possible. Then unbolt all fittings etc. cut off all spar caps between ribs with multi tool, chisel etc. and slip old spar out. Then I will use old spar as a template for the new...drill all holes right off old spar into new etc. slip new spar in...T-88 where glued to ribs...maybe add some cabosil to fill and voids. Then add all new corner blocks. I'll try to take pictures as I go and please advise me of anything you might think of! The best part of being single is I'm doing it on a perfectly flat glass table in my dining room! New girl friend has been warned! ;-) the damage is from where the tip now glues on to rear spar and crack runs inbd several inches. ImageUploadedByBiplane Forum1465698579.822447.jpg
ImageUploadedByBiplane Forum1465698597.883086.jpg
ImageUploadedByBiplane Forum1465698616.890086.jpg
ImageUploadedByBiplane Forum1465698643.461389.jpg
ImageUploadedByBiplane Forum1465698659.445540.jpg
ImageUploadedByBiplane Forum1465698679.507002.jpg
ImageUploadedByBiplane Forum1465698693.429547.jpg
ImageUploadedByBiplane Forum1465698715.540816.jpg
No stop on the aileron bellcrank in wing. I want to add during this.
ImageUploadedByBiplane Forum1465698773.487099.jpg
ImageUploadedByBiplane Forum1465698788.776822.jpg
Tie down fitting was added during original build and I want to replace this one as it is bent during ground loop.

Latest posts

Back