• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Starduster too , restoration project ,rebuilding and repainting QUESTIONS help please

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry Starduster

Reaction score
hello my friends !! ... i bought a starduster too that has been sitting for 26 years . i got some of the original plans with it but not complete so i bought new ones from spruce .. the plane and everything seems to be in very good condition !!! i have been rebuilding and replacing all the little things that have gone bad from sitting for that long ... new tires and tubes , rebuilt the wheel cyls. and new pads , replaced the master cyls, replace all the oil lines and fuel lines and flushed tanks , replaced all the insterments that were not working properly fuel gauge , senders and wiring , air speed , oil pressure and temp gauges and senders , new com radios , added mic and head phone jacks , and PTT . .. the workmanship on this plane is very nice .. just redoing everything that needs to be done to make it correct again ... when i got this plane the wings were off and was in the middle of a repaint and refresh when the builder took a turn for the worst and did not touch it after that .. now that i am starting to put everything back together there are interesting questions that i probably should be asking !!! i have finished painting and starting the assy. i will include some pics for you all .. being that this is my first Biplane i am sure there are questions that i should be asking that i dont know to ask yet !!! the log books show 170 hours on the airplane and same on engine from overhaul . now some interesting part engine is a lycoming 0435 190hp ... i have gone over the engine with a friend who knows this engine very well .. we have gone through the mags , points condsers and timing all new and good , compression test great !!! , engine runs like a champ !!! the nice thing about this purchase is that this plane was flying before and had just been taken apart for the repaint !! i am just having to find all the little parts and things that were lost over the years to put things back together !! i am in the prosses of putting the wings back on now .. one of my questions was what tis the degree of dihedral and incidence on these wings and how is that set up on this plane ??? and how much tension is to be set on the flying wires ???? sorry if you have covered this in other threads that i have not read yet . but if someone can advise and or point me in the right direction that would be great .... thank you ... larry in Lima Ohio

Attachments

• IMG_0880.JPG
    IMG_0880.JPG
    132.8 KB · Views: 85
Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back