• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Biplane Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Stearman Projects for Sale

hosspowerinc

Reaction score
My boss has two Stearman projects for sale. There are enough parts to build roughly 1 and 3/4 airplanes. R-680 fwf, set of paperwork (currently registered), and lots of parts. The parts are solid and the sheet metal is really nice.

We specialize in Stearman restoration so we can rebuild one for you but we do have at least a 6 month backlog to get started. The photo album is linked below and please PM me for his phone number. He's asking $45000 for everything.

http://s90.photobucket.com/user/hosspowerinc/library/Stearman

Last edited:

cwilliamrose

‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ 
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
The photo site says the gallery is private. Is there a setting you can change to make it visible?

fidot

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Damn! I'd be all over this if I haven't had a Skybolt. Hope this finds some good hands!

an8pilot

Mike
Reaction score
Justin, I have a question about a 450 Stearman I am around just a little bit. It is 150 miles from me so I don't see it often.

When I was there annualing a SNJ last month, I noticed, that the left wheel was way more toe in than i expect it should be, with my eyes alone.

I measured the distance across from the outer edges of the main wheels. Divided that dimension by 2.

Then took that dimension of half the width across the mains, and measured outboard from the tail wheel to the bottom of the horizontal and made marks there with tape.

I lined up line of sight on the outer edges of the rims and looked back towards those marks on the bottom of the horizontal.

The right wheel line of sight aimed about 7 inches outboard of the mark.

The left wheel measured about a foot and a half outboard of the mark at the horizontal.

So both wheels are very much toe in and the left, waaaaaaaay toe in.
But not something someone might notice just walking up to the plane.

I would want neutral or slightly toe out. But can't find anything in manuals about it.....YET.

I have not been able to find any information about the landing gear in manuals and erection manuals in my shop or online about adjusting toe in on Stearman to make sure I had the right tools before I head down there to Orlando next time.

Do you have any info, about how to adjust this, before i go back down there. I would treat it as compete hear say until I find a manual reference.

No wonder it was squirley. But then again, that would be good training.

Also, twice, the left wheel has locked up with me landing on grass. And I'm abhorrently against using brakes at all unless I have to. Add always land and takeoff with toes on the bottom of the rudder pedals.

I checked inside the drums, and the clearances between drum and shoe don't seem too tight at all. Measured with big truck drum brake calipers.

And the the black spring on the shoe was towards the back, and the red spring was towards the front, on both left and right wheel brakes.

I found this Stearman axle in my shop for descriptions. Seems other than welding and redrilling the cross holes at the bottom in the example picture, would be the only way to adjust toe in out at bottom, and I'm not doing that. So I guess there must be an adjustment process at the top. Just can't find any documents about that yet.

I don't think the solid steel rod / shaft / bar through the axle tube, to accumatively tweak bend pry all steel tubing / frame members into submission for a better overall toe anything position is going to work on this big old biplane.

I know there are paid Stearman forums out there but, it's not my plane. My work is free, and I don't get to fly it often.

Sorry to add to this post.... But at least it's bumping up your Stearman projects work.

Oops, couldn't upload picture. Will upload later. On an ipad. You know they're not about being a team player. It's all about "I".

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/01pms8kowy7cmf6/AABD36qnrt0RtyUKN3WncAPxa

Last edited:

EAABipe40FF

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of my old friends from when I was flying in the 1980's had a very nice Stearman project he was working on. I happened to talk o him a couple months ago,

He is still working on it.

I helped another friend rebuild a V77 in the late 70's.....

A Stearman, V77 or other such airplanes are NOT a Bolt, SD, Pitts or the like.

Just in case someone's mouth is watering who has not worked on one of our larger brother bipes.....

As far as too much toe-in? If no adjustment(I have no idea), something's bent? Will take BIG come alongs, pry bars and heavy chains to fix. I helped an old duster with such an adjustment years ago... It was ugly! But seemed to work.

Last edited:

Lotahp1

Supporting Member
Reaction score
As far as I know it's bent. I had a bent Stearman gear (bendix, not Halliburton) repaired at a place in south padre. That was about 10 years ago though. They had a jig etc for it.

kjkimball

Been there...Done that...
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I have restored 35 stearmans. The gear is toed in by design. It should be equal toe in side to side. If the one you are working on is not symmetrical, the gear is bent or the fuselage is not square where the gear attaches. I don't have access to my Stearman data until after I get back from oshkosh. Can check when I get back.