• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Steen CAD plans and compression ribs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

windjammer

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I am in the process of starting my Pitts project. I have both the S-1S plans and the CAD S-1C plans from Steen.

One thing in particular concerns me. Looking at the Steen plans, I cannot see any special instructions for the compression ribs, although everything I have read elsewhere tells me that the compression ribs have wider capstrip and plywood on both sides. The plans simply do not show this as far as I can see.
There are other details in the S-1C CAD plans that I have discovered to be either incorrect or incomplete. And I am a novice at airplane building, so this worries me.

An S-1C would be perfectly adequate for me, but I am thinking of building the S-1S simply because I trust the plans more. I want this to be first and foremost a sportplane, not an all out aerobatic contest performer.

Are Curtis Pitts' original plans, still sold by Steen, more complete/better?

I would appreciate any advice/insight on this. Thanks in advance.

Latest posts

Back