• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

Steen un-welded fuselage For Sale

blue82coupe

Reaction score
Hey all,

I was just made executor of my fathers estate .Also only heir.

He left me with NOS still box un-welded Steen Skybolt fuselage.

He bought it in 1974 and it's been in storage ever since.I intend to sell it, but have no idea of fair market value.

I'll find out shortly exactly what it includes.

Moderator...if posted in the wrong place...sorry in advance

Any help would appreciated...:confused:

Dan

blue82coupe

Reaction score
Hey All...It has 90 pieces..all labeled..with a schematic...It appears to be the main fuselage...no landing gear... or vertical tail...

Thanks

Hey all,

I was just made executor of my fathers estate .Also only heir.

He left me with NOS still box un-welded Steen Skybolt fuselage.

He bought it in 1974 and it's been in storage ever since.I intend to sell it, but have no idea of fair market value.

I'll find out shortly exactly what it includes.

Moderator...if posted in the wrong place...sorry in advance

Any help would appreciated...:confused:

Dan

blue82coupe

Reaction score
Hey All...It has 90 pieces..all labeled..with a schematic...It appears to be the main fuselage...no landing gear... or vertical tail...

Thanks
To package only contains twenty pieces. (2) 7/8 od (2) 3/4 od. Both have a slight miter joint. Then 16 pieces pre-cut according to a check marked diagram.

:(

christopher

Reaction score
Welcome! Can you post pics of everything? That would help. Heck, why not go ahead and build it? :) Biplanes are Cool!

blue82coupe

Reaction score
It is in fact Kerbie- J..... Only reason I know is I found the schematic inside an envelope with the return address of Kerbie-J Inc. It's been in storage since 1975...I have no clue what it's worth

Dan

blue82coupe

Reaction score
Biplanes are waaay cool! As far as building it...It's complicated...I have a step mom who has life interest in my dads real estate..along with his shop.Not exactly fond of her...I want to distance myself from her and her family as much as possible...It kinda sucs... If i'm way off on the price PM me

Dan

Jerry

Radial Skybolt Builder: 205% completed
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dan

You can check out www.steenaero.com and see what the price of a new fuselage is. Not sure if they have one close to the one you have listed but it's a start.

Beej

Creator of this place
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
That wont help him much. It is pushing 12k fully built and powder coated. Realistically, project fuselages are available cheap, all the time, I have seen them from $750 to 2500 welded up. Your kit will be of the old design, some tubes would need to be swapped out, perhaps a couple scrapped. It is probably worth 500-700, but like all things, it's only worth what someone is willing to pay.

Photos will sell things a lot easier.

Best o luck/

blue82coupe

Reaction score
That wont help him much. It is pushing 12k fully built and powder coated. Realistically, project fuselages are available cheap, all the time, I have seen them from $750 to 2500 welded up. Your kit will be of the old design, some tubes would need to be swapped out, perhaps a couple scrapped. It is probably worth 500-700, but like all things, it's only worth what someone is willing to pay.

Photos will sell things a lot easier.

Best o luck/
I'll have photos sometime today...:)

Jerry

Radial Skybolt Builder: 205% completed
Supporting Member
Reaction score
KT... what's a Kerbie-J kit ?

How long ago and who made them ?

I did a search and came up with a vacuum cleaner.

Reaction score
Kerbie J was a guy in New Jersey that sold fuselage material kits for popular designs. It was a pre fishmouthed and mitered material kit and all the tubes were hand done. They were only a little bit of a head start as it wasn't that great of a deal. The only one I was personally involved with was a Pitts S1 that I welded up for a couple of friends that had built it up and tacked it for final welding. They told me every joint "almost fit". Kerbie-J advertised in S.A. all through the '70's and '80's. The new Vr3 kits are quite the opposite, they snap together with micrometer precision.

To the original poster, you are sitting on about 500 bucks worth of tubing, sorry if you thought you had a rare find but a lot has changed in the Skybolt in the ensuing years.

Last edited:

blue82coupe

Reaction score
Kerbie J was a guy in New Jersey that sold fuselage material kits for popular designs. It was a pre fishmouthed and mitered material kit and all the tubes were hand done. They were only a little bit of a head start as it wasn't that great of a deal. The only one I was personally involved with was a Pitts S1 that I welded up for a couple of friends that had built it up and tacked it for final welding. They told me every joint "almost fit". Kerbie-J advertised in S.A. all through the '70's and '80's. The new Vr3 kits are quite the opposite, they snap together with micrometer precision.

To the original poster, you are sitting on about 500 bucks worth of tubing, sorry if you thought you had a rare find but a lot has changed in the Skybolt in the ensuing years.
Not surprised...I'll post some pics...

Thanks

blue82coupe

Reaction score
Hey All.. I appreciate the info on the fuselage...How about $500.00 plus shipping. I'll deliver for small fee within 100 milesskybolt 001.jpg

skybolt 002.jpg

skybolt 003.jpg

skybolt 004.jpg

skybolt 005.jpg

skybolt 006.jpg of Simpsonville, Ky.

blue82coupe

Reaction score
Hey all.. again thanks for the info..If anyone is interested.. I have a PayPal account.

Dan

blue82coupe

Reaction score
Hey All...I'm going to hold onto this for a few weeks .Then it's off to the recycling plant.

How about $250.00.

blue82coupe

Reaction score
How about 175.00 plus shipping...Shipping will cost about 70.00 on the average.

Neil

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds like an economical avenue for someone starting a new build.

Latest posts