• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

Stolp SA900 V Star

Dana

Reaction score
They're pretty scarce.

race38

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
There is one on Barnstormers right now for $1100. A project but it’s cheap.

footloose

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did not get to see it but that don't keep me from wishin I was younger . Airplane poor .

Grum.man

Reaction score

Grum.man

Reaction score
Guy wasn’t very forthcoming with pictures and information. If it wasn’t dead of winter I’d drive the 15 hours to get it for the sake of it.

Reaction score
Those four wing panels would fit in the back of my Suburban easy. About 15 years ago there was a V Star from Lexington, KY that used to show up at the Lee Bottom fly in. It was a beauty that sparked my interest in a LSA style biplane that was a real biplane. Cameron may have seen the V Star at Lee Bottom as well. There is also some folks in TN that have a V Star and a SA 100 Starduster. Both nice airplanes.

Grum.man

Reaction score
Those four wing panels would fit in the back of my Suburban easy. About 15 years ago there was a V Star from Lexington, KY that used to show up at the Lee Bottom fly in. It was a beauty that sparked my interest in a LSA style biplane that was a real biplane. Cameron may have seen the V Star at Lee Bottom as well. There is also some folks in TN that have a V Star and a SA 100 Starduster. Both nice airplanes.
I like any Starduster type but I do find the Vstar a little ugly. The cowl is crude and the skinny fuselage doesnt fit the beautifully designed wings. Still a neat design though.

Reaction score
I like any Starduster type but I do find the Vstar a little ugly. The cowl is crude and the skinny fuselage doesnt fit the beautifully designed wings. Still a neat design though.
You can't see how ugly it is from the cockpit. If I posted a picture of my mug you would instantly forget how "ugly" the V star is.

Dean Copley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can't see how ugly it is from the cockpit. If I posted a picture of my mug you would instantly forget how "ugly" the V star is.
I’ll bet I have you beat when it comes to ugly...just ask my wife! But you are right, when you’re sitting in the cockpit, everything changes!

will moffitt

Will moffitt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tried one on for size 8 years ago. Banged my shins on the radio and transponder but that is not the planes fault.
WIll

Dave Baxter

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Well beauty and ugly is in the eye of the beholder, and the Starduster line of airplanes are some of the most attractive. Many think they are like Cessna's, as well as RV,s and if you have seen one they are all the same, and of course that's not true, and not just in power plants. Its the individual builders personal preference to make their airplane different. Just a few simple things like trying to emulate the Starduster look, some builders are good at it and others not so much, as well as paint fit and finish. There were never many V-Stars build less than 50, and it was suppose to be a simple low power airplane to build, and many of the nose cowls built to the plans I will give you are not very appealing, and actually I think harder to build than the traditional full cowl and comanche style nose bowl! The thing I did not like as Will commetented on was the cockpit, it needs to be a bit deeper as when one sits in it your legs are almost straight out in front of you, and is the same for the Starlet. Nor do I think many plans were sold for the V-Star, not that it was a bad airplane, as it was not. I took pictures of N15XX at Oshkosh back in 1993, and thought it was a nice looking airplane. Here are a few pictures of V-Stars, and one of it as you can see some are quite appealing, so do not judge them all by one airplane, as some were in my opinion very attractive. I think the one in the UK G-VSTR is probably one of the best looking V-Star. My son says dad the Starduster has what he calls airplane sex appeal, in that it has all the curves in just the right places! And I think one of the last picture proves that the Starduster has all the curves in the right places! Dave

Attachments

Latest posts