• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Storage Rack and/or Painting Jig S1 Top Wing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mlwynn

Reaction score
Hi All,
I won't bore you with the long sad story, but my recovering my S1-S almost done. It had been black and silver but I have been convinced that black is a poor choice for a fabric airplane here in California so painting both the fabric and the sheet metal is in the plan. I have been completely unable to find a painter to take on the job. So, having previously painted my RV8 (using Stewart Systems), I am now trying to set up to do the job myself.

One of the things I haven't figured out is how to set up a wing rack for the upper wing. I built a EAA rack for the bottom wings and that works great. All the other pieces are easily stored. Figuring that the upper wing is going to be the most difficult to do, I plan to do it last. In the meantime, I need to sort out how to safely store it and how to support it during the painting phase. I'm pretty sure I'm not the first one with this problem.

A friend describe hanging the top wing on the aileron hinges while painting. I was also thinking that perhaps threaded rods could be placed through the I-strut holes and some sort of frame built around that. Any wisdom in the community on how best to solve this problem?

Regards,

Michael Wynn
S1-S
Livermore, CA

Latest posts

Back