• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Strong tailwheel shimmy in a S1-T

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charles67

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I started experiencing a strong tailwheel shimmy when I land my S1-T (When I initially got the plane, there was no shimmy)

The shimmy does not occur all the times. The typical situation when the shimming occurs is when I land a tad too fast, with the stick not all the way back. As I bring the stick back with the tailwheel already on the ground, I experience a strong shimmy for a second or two,then it goes away, sometime it comes back and then it goes away as the plane slow down. Recently, however, there is shimmy also at lower landing (ground) speeds, when there is a 20 knot wind blowing down the runway. And the shimmy is even stronger.

The geometry of the leaf spring is unchanged and I have already replaced the two lateral springs on the tailwheel, which is the one that Aviat installs on all the Pitts. Everything appears to be normal in the tailwheel. The only thing that has changed is the wear of the tire

Any idea about what could be causing the shimmy and any suggestion about how to eliminate it?

Latest posts

Back