• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Stu's Skybolt Restoration

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TipsyNipper

Reaction score
Hi Everyone

It's been a while since I joined the forum and I did promise some photos of my project. With the Covid 19 pandemic I've more time on my hands and unfortunately here in England we are in lock down so I can't go to the airfield to carry on with the build.
The photos show a quick rig of the wings to fuselage. I've got to finally set the incidence of the lower wings and weld new rear spar mounting brackets (the originals were not good!). When the wings have been rigged and everything is OK I am going to fit new ply leading edges (Steen Aero vac formed ones)
The landing gear is not yet fitted as I have had to replace the rear tubes and top mount (reason - top mounting not to plans). Its all tacked together just needs finish welding.
You will also see in the photos I've fabricated a new engine mount because the original one was not to a good standard. The mount is just tacked at the moment and requires finish welding. I've also thrown away the aluminium turtle deck and made a plywood one......quite pleased with it :).
The ailerons have now been fitted with the forward mounting slave strut parts as the system that was fitted was definitely not to plans. I also had to removed 4 lbs of lead from each aileron leading edge which involved removing both skins and leading edges (mass balance is not required per Steen Aero).
Lots of other parts have been replaced or made new per plans.
Engine is an 0-360 all stripped down at the moment. Plan is to fit a fuel injection system on rebuild....any thoughts on what to fit?

One day she will fly again
IMG_20200320_144825340.jpg
IMG_20200320_144841433.jpg
IMG_20200320_144856012.jpg
IMG_20200320_144918010.jpg

Thanks for looking
Stuart

Attachments

• IMG_20200320_144825340.jpg
    IMG_20200320_144825340.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_20200320_144841433.jpg