• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Suggest me a biplane

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LauraJ

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, so I've danced around with the whole question of what I want to build, and I still don't have an answer. I think maybe I'm thinking about this too hard, so I have a request. Given the following list of priorities (in descending order of importance), which biplane suggests itself?

* Big enough to carry 2 250 lb, 6' folks plus fuel enough to fly for an hour or two
* Designed around a commonly-available aero engine, like a C90 or Lyc O-235
* Not too challenging to build (so I might stand a chance of finishing it)
* Relatively efficient (6 or less gph, 100-ish mph cruise, 800+ fpm climb solo)
* Buildable for under about $25k including engine and Mode C equipment
* Might remind you of planes built in the 20s-40s

As my sig suggests, the Ragwing Special II and Fisher Tiger Moth are the designs I'm seriously considering, but the Ragwing is plans-built (therefore I'm unlikely to finish it, at least statistically), and the Fisher is no longer produced. The Sherwood Ranger is a pretty dream, but doesn't look like it's available in reality. If the Fisher were definitely available, it'd be my choice.

What does that leave? Hatz? I'm not sure. I don't want a big, heavy-engine acro bipe (although I'd take +/-9g stressing if I just had to
smiley2.gif
). I was fixated on all-wood designs, but maybe that's too limiting. I was fixated on super light-weight, but that seems to leave the passenger seat allowable weight pretty limited, and if I can't take my (250 lb) Dad up, I will be displeased. Run-out aero engines seem like a good deal, because I can definitely rebuild an engine, and that size/weight also allows the Rotec 2800 and Corvair.

I'd love to get opinions from you folks who know biplanes much better than I do.

Latest posts

Back