• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Tabs 101

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

planebuilder

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not a very significant part of an airplane, but airplanes are made up of a multitude of parts that on their own don't seem very significant.
So why are tabs worthy of our consideration?
Weight and corrosion protection are two reasons.
I grew up with Cubs. Great airplanes, but poorly built. Corrosion is a huge problem with them. I maintained and restored them and became frustrated at having to do major structural repairs due to corrosion. That corrosion was due to poor building and design practice. To be fair, they lasted far longer than the manufacturer ever intended. But we are building custom homebuilts, and we can invest the time to make our airplanes MUCH better than the "factory builts".
Two problem areas are behind framework and holes drilled in tubes for screws. It should be obvious that a tab welded on holding a nutplate is better than a hole in the tube that will allow water in, and internal corrosion.
Often a frame strip is welded to a tube to form a door or window frame, but there is not good enough access behind it to properly clean and paint, so it rusts from the day it leaves the factory. This can be remedied by using tabs instead of a strip or holes in tubes. Then if a frame strip is needed it can be made of lighter aluminum and screwed or riveted to the tab after the frame is painted. In some cases, like a window frame that will have to resist the pull of tight fabric, the welded on frame strip may be required. if it's just an attachment for an aluminum panel, no tension, then tabs probably would do. If a strip has to be welded on, consider spacing it off the tube 3/16" so you can sandblast and paint under it.
Here are some examples. These are just my opinions, I hope they give some ideas.
( Sorry , in the bottom drawing it should say 3 angles not 2.)

nut plates 1.jpg

nut plates 2.jpg

nut plates 3.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back