• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Tailwheel chain geometry help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pigpenracing

Reaction score
12A60BF9-64F6-4ACA-BB15-645CB9D82487.jpeg
DC8044B3-2DAF-4F6F-8F6A-49B266751561.jpeg
12A60BF9-64F6-4ACA-BB15-645CB9D82487.jpeg
Ok guys...
Just took the locking Raven off and put on a API.
Got it all hooked up with the compression springs from API.
With one link looser the tailwheel does not steer until you have almost full rudder in.
I like the chains tighter and took one link out and what I have is what is in the pic.
The tailwheel steering is perfect but now the tailwheel will not break over because it does not travel enough.
I think it has to do with the chain attach point under the rudder is narrower than the steering arm on the tailwheel?
What is a easy fix?
My mechanic thinks if we redrill the holes in the steering arm closer like the rudder it will be better? I’m not sure?
We also thought about putting a little weaker compression spring or a tension spring so it will stretch a bit and let it break over? There is no room under the rudder and between the round spring to put a bar and make that point longer.

Latest posts

Back