Tailwheel leaf spring

Discussion in 'Christen Eagle' started by Tonto, Feb 17, 2018.

Help Support Biplane Forum by donating using the link above.
  1. Feb 17, 2018 #1

Tonto

Tonto

Tonto

What is the correct Tailwheel leaf spring for the Eagle?
    I have a 45 degree API Tailwheel and am trying to get the castor angle correct. Right now it is still too far forward even after I put a rubber pad in between the leaf and the fuselage. Im wondering if my leafspring is incorrect, which is a J3 spring.
    My next fix is to remove the rubber pad I installed and use a 20 degree API Tailwheel hoping that the Tailwheel doesn’t castor reward too much. Any thoughts?
    Thanks,
    Ethan

49F7A361-6550-469D-BE9F-8CD2F19258CE.jpg

73E77B76-B189-44FF-B6C7-148320CC9C28.jpg

2. Feb 18, 2018 #2

lanceav8r

lanceav8r

lanceav8r

That angle looks about the same as mine. Is that a Lang?

3. Feb 18, 2018 #3

Tonto

Tonto

Tonto

It is an API tailwheel, similar to a Lange but not TSO’d. I’m going to try the 20 degree tailwheel and see if that lines up.
    What leafspring are you using?
    Thanks

4. Feb 19, 2018 #4

ilikeitinverted

ilikeitinverted

ilikeitinverted

Registered Users

Mike looks the same, lands fine. Yes, it's a J3 spring.

5. Feb 20, 2018 #5

Gmovies

Gmovies

Gmovies

That is the exact setup I have on my Pitts S2. J3 spring with API tailwheel standard 45 degree. I would think the 20 degree API tailwheel would put the caster angle way out of wack. Do you get any shimmy as it is now? Might be ok as is.

Otherwise if you want to change the caster you can go to a shop that manufacturers/reworks pickup truck leaf springs and have them put a little extra bend in the spring just ahead of the tailwheel attach point. There is a shop here in Wichita did mine for free. Some guy like 104 years old did a beautiful job reshaping both of the springs to give me just a little more angle. I brought him a case of beer.

Both the spring and tailwheel were replaced new and I did not fly the plane before I had the spring reshaped. I kind of wish I had flown it without the reshape just to try it. Might not have needed it.

6. Feb 20, 2018 #6

jmonberg

jmonberg

jmonberg

Also fly the API tailwheel with the stock spring. Your pic looks almost the same as mine. No shimmy. I run just a smidge of slack when the wheel is centered though.

7. Feb 21, 2018 #7

Tonto

Tonto

Tonto

Thanks for the replies, I really appreciate it. I’m going to stick with the current set up. I flew it again today and it handles perfect with no shimmy. Ill have the leaf reshaped (that’s a great suggestion) and leave it be.
    Thanks again fellas.