• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

"tailwheels"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kpin

Reaction score
Ok Probably discussed many times but I can't seem to find the info I am looking for. I have a scott 3200 on my skybolt. First biplane but many hours in tail draggers (about 3000). Except for the M4 maule all had scott wheels. To my likeing and surprise, the first time I landed the skybolt the 3200 was very responsive. I remember thinking this is easier than the decathlon I sold because it went immediately to where I asked while landing. Something has changed and it can't be me (LOL). Well at first I thought it was but now I wonder if it it the tail wheel. Now the response to my input is sluggish and at times requires full rudder pedal input to get action. I have made changes to the scott tail wheel since my first few landings. One problem with the scott is the steering horns on the wheel were bending. I corrected this problem by purchasing an Alaska bush modification which utilizes a heavier gauage arm as well as bending it at right angles to the horizon. Is it possible that the distance between the attachpoint of the spring and the center of rotation can cause this sloppy feel. lastly Is the Aircraft Spruce home builders special more responsive? I believe I read somewhere that it was like installing power steering. Is this the case? Would the solid wheel be better and 4 or 6 inch?

Ken

Latest posts

Back