• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

TBM pictures from Rising Sun......Off topic for sure

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MS1361

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've really enjoyed this forum and have come to realize that many on here are more......vintage than I. The stories and input are often full of wisdom which often comes from those years of experience. I've spent many hours reading thread after thread and have learned a lot that pertains to flying in general and, more specifically, to my Skybolt. Getting back to the vintage part. My grandfather, the late Chris D. Stoltzfus of Coatesville PA, bought a TBM at Navy auction in 1959. It was sitting at the airport in Rising Sun Maryland, possibly after an engine failure. Grandfather operated several TBM's but never even brought this one home. He sold it where it sat in 1970. The buyer took it to Ohio where he parked it among many other similar era airplanes (ever hear of Walter Soplata? If not, try google. He was fascinating). Several years ago we were able to buy this TBM and are in the long process of restoration. If anyone of that vintage would have pictures of this TBM at Rising Sun I would be ever so grateful to get a copy. This one was modified in a way that only about 30-35 were and I'd like to see pictures of it from back then. I know this is a long shot but as they say, you don't know if you don't ask.

Many thanks!

Mark Stoltzfus

Latest posts

Back