• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Ted's Hatz Classic build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hatzdude

Reaction score
Hey fellow builders and bipane enthusiasts! After quite a while lurking around hereabouts I have decided to start a build log page documenting my Hatz Classic build for our collective education and entertainment. I will try to include lots of pics as i know that's what we all are looking forward to. I will try to present the progress in a chronological order, but this is complicated by the fact that I started this build some time ago . As with most all builds mine started here, with the Classic plans,
hatz plans 3.jpg hatz plans 1.jpg
Plans No. 167, nice set of drawings with some well documented errors and discrepancies. These Plans discrepancies are well documented on the Hatz Biplane Association web page under the the Building and Maintaining the Hatz Classic Sub set here..
http://www.hatzbiplane.com/phpBB/viewforum.php?f=8&sid=b6ddb2edbf36a653b97e83dc95a57843
This is where having access to the building community is invaluable, thank you Biplane Forum! I purchased these plans from Makelan some time ago and have been working on the top wing set steadily ever since. Plans sets have been sometimes difficult to purchase through Makelan (for reasons unknown...) but two sets of Classic plans are currently for sale here http://www.hatzbiplane.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=796to to those with an interest. I welcome any comments, suggestions and advice. I will begin to add construction photos representative of my build process even though the pics are not technically in chronological order. I will try to tell the story of the build in order to this point. Cheers, Ted Tracy

Latest posts

Back