• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

Tensiometer needed to get wings back on Skybolt

SPAIRINC

SPAIRINC
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Ready now to get wings back on this TN/KY Bird..... I will buy or rent..... please call or msg. ASAP!
Regards, Dan ph. 606-269-8941

taff

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used a fish scale to control the tension of the wires,
photo below only shows the rear (couldn't find photo of me doing the main wings wires.

I think others will also say that they used a fish scale as an alternative to a tensiometer.

DSCN8140 (1280x960).jpg
DSCN8143 (1280x960).jpg

StinsonPilot

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
The builders manual gives the info for rigging tension. I think it was less than 1/2" at 50 lbs of pull. I'll see if I can find it.

StinsonPilot

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Here's what I got from the builders manual and the newsletters:

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Per Kevin Kimball
Flying/Landing wires should be tightened to deflect ½" in the center with a 25-30 lb. pull with a scale similar to fish scales.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Per Mac McKenzie
Tighten them until they do not vibrate in flight. Excessive tightening will result in high compression loads on the spars.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

SPAIRINC

SPAIRINC
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
SUPER! Thanks for the info.....

cwilliamrose

‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ 
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
If you use a pull scale use a piece of vinyl tubing or several wraps of tape to protect the wire from metal to metal contact.

cashflyer

Reaction score
Per Mac McKenzie
Tighten them until they do not vibrate in flight. Excessive tightening will result in high compression loads on the spars.
This is the method that I used. Worked fine for me.
Keep in mind that the wires may have to be tensioned again after your first flight.

Latest posts