• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

The Apollo Fuel Valve Retrofit -- Anyone Here Done It?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwilliamrose

‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ 
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
My S-2A's fuel valve is failing, galling to be exact. Aviat's SB30 talks about swapping out the old Imperial 104HD for the Apollo 76-101. The biggest part of the chore isn't getting the valve mounted (it is different from the original but no big deal), the issue is the custom handle Aviat supplies. The handle allows the old torque tube system to attach as the original valve did. The torque tube runs from the firewall area where the valve mounts to the two cockpits where either person can operate the valve. The Apollo valve, with their supplied handle, works opposite of the Imperial valve which operates counter-clockwise to shut off and clockwise to turn the full on -- the custom handle takes care of that problem too. You pretty much need that handle or something very similar to make the Apollo work in the S-2 airplanes.

The only real problem is the cost. The valve is not very expensive but the Aviat handle is over $650! I had been gifted a new Apollo valve a few years back by forum member garyg (Thanks again Gary!) so all I really needed from the factory was the handle and a couple of small hardware items that cost about a buck total. The parts are on order but I wish I had a drawing of that valve handle to see if rolling my own would be an option. When I get the handle I'll make the effort to model it in SWx and make part drawings and take a few photos. You only have to do this once and the new valve will probably last forever but $650 bucks still rubs me the wrong way.

Has anyone else had the pleasure of this chore? Misery loves company.........

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back