• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Biplane Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

The bottom falls out! SA-300

bipedream

Registered Users
Reaction score
Sitting for 8 years doesn't help... and selling any airplane in the fall and winter is tough.

TFF1

Reaction score
A local got a free airplane. Had been sitting and the owner had a plane to go in its place so he towed it down ram and left it on another hangar doorstep. The problem of a plane like that sitting is two things. Someone looking will not want a project of sorting out the problems; they want shiny and sorted. Project seekers will think it is two high a price because it will be stripped, so fabric will come off and engine apart. In glad its too far away. I would review the books, look at the airframe and engine, and fly the $15,000 out of it and not worry about $ 80,000 planes.

bipedream

Registered Users
Reaction score
Maybe I should hang a sign on the hangar saying "good home promised to neglected Pitts S1, leave keys and registration, no questions asked' ;)"

wanttaja

Registered Users
Reaction score
About a year and a half ago, a guy bought a local Fly Baby that had been sitting idle for ten years...the gas had even turned yellow.

Had an A&P work on it for two days, then flew it ~200 miles home. He had about $7500 total into it, at that point (purchase price and mechanic's fees). No mechanical issues, since. Hangar door fell on it, but it's fixed, now.

If this Starduster was local, I might spring for it.

Ron Wanttaja

Dave Baxter

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Dan the bottom has fallen out of most all airplanes, as I do not see many sold "Thanks Barnstormers" posted lately. But did see Kevin Shaw's round power Starduster Too sell just the last several days, he was asking $ 64,000 for it, but I think it went for less?

http://www.barnstormers.com/cat.php?mode=search

However in was exceptional, and I think that the airplanes that are selling are just that or viewed as being inexpensive to operate and meet the light sport regulations.

As for the one advertised N101TJ it was built by Tom Jekyll back in the 70s and he flew it to many of the local fly-ins Watsonville and Merced. We attended several of these together. It is a good airplane needs a bit longer motor mount, and the gear is only moved back about 4" but otherwise a good airplane, and five yrs ago would sell for twice the asking price. Tom like all of us due to health issues sooner than we think will be facing the same thing, selling our airplanes and the problem is what I have said before pilots, we must have new pilots and the trend is just the opposite declining. All of the talking heads from AOPA to EAA have offered many solutions but few have increased the pilot population. With cost escalating for everything aviation, and the new generation airspace with mandatory ADS-B makes it tougher and more expensive for those of us that are left. At my age I wonder how many flying days do I have and what will happen to my airplane when I'm gone.
The Biplane Forum started by Beej with a few interested builders has grown into the last vestige of true home builders and offers a lot, but even here are numbers seem to stay the same, and do not think we are growing. Mike my friend, and I are of the 100 hangers on our airport with quite a few empty are the only two people that are still building airplanes. So I think this is one of may reasons why the price of airplanes at least the ones that are selling continue to decline. Dave

HighTow

Registered Users
Reaction score
That's really a hell of a deal. A proven airplane in basically good shape. Couldn't build it for 3 times the price. Worst case scenario is that you spend 5K to buy a cam and rework the engine and prop. Somebody on the Left Coast is going to get a good deal.

Lotahp1

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What cowl is on it? That's a hell of a deal. Bad part is it will probably sell to someone who will take the engine and prop off for a RV and then they will sell the rest for damn near what they paid. I'm sorta glad I'm always broke...or I'd have even more projects! ;-) I have my eye on a Statduster Too that's in pieces and sitting...just hope it's there when my Range Duster is done. I love projects, it just sucks the economics are so bad on doing them.

Pilotjkl

Reaction score
Wish I had already sold by Starduster us SA100, I'm selling it to buy a two hole'r just like this one for my 10-year-old son and I to fly would love to have it one owner and all