• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

The Golden Age of Aviation

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Baxter

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Most all of us especially ones like me that are in the older pilot camp have heard the term The Golden Age of Aviation. In one of my many aviation magazines from home building to air classics and historical aviation publications. Many that I have read and re read, it seems there is always something I missed the first, or even the second time around, and this particular article is certainly one that I think is quite profound for many of us. This particular publication is American Aviation Historical Society and written by Earl See. Titled Golden Age Remembrances I thought it was so good and needed to be re-posted, and there is no better place to do so than the Biplane Forum.

In my Jr High School there was a treasure trove of aviation books starting with the early experiments of flight, the Wright Brothers, the first WW I, the in between wars the bush pilots. The air racing, the lead of new fighter planes prior to the second WW II, most were either historical fiction or biography's. That I as a young lad read about, and although my grandfather was not a pilot and I spent little time with him, many of the things in this story though are things that happened to me. I suppose my time was probably from the late 40s to the mid 50s. I can remember seeing a Navy blimp fly, and I can also remember seeing a B-36 bomber fly over. March AFB was not far from where we lived. From my Jr High one could see from the ball field the airplanes on down wind to land at our small airport , I had no idea it was Flabob at the time, some of my first trips there a p-40 owned by Frank Tallman, the Bearcat that later became Darryl G. Greenamyer's race plane. A place where I took my first airplane ride, and later in the early 60s started to learn to fly and later my pilots license.

Many of the senior members of the forum may recall with fondness the period known as the Golden Age of Aviation, it is generally considered to be a period from the mid 20s thru the 30s and up to WW II. Many may recall and history books record this was a time when aviation technological advances and airplane developments took quantum leaps. The news papers, magazines and movies of the day complimented and reinforced the public's interest in aviation. This lure and love of aviation was not lost on the youth of the day. Now each of us decades later, has his own view and story to tell, but I think many will identify with so much of what is written between a young boy and his grandfather.

The Golden Age Of Aviation

This story starts out with a young inquisitive boy who came across the term of: The Golden Age Of Aviation and asked his father about what it meant, and without hesitation his dad took the 21st century action and Googled the term. To his young sons delight they found a chronology of aviation events defined as the Golden Age Of Aviation. Now the young boy seemed to have found everything he wanted to know regarding this meaning of aviation's golden age. Or did he? What actually made that period of time the "Golden Age"? Certainly there were many aeronautical achievements during that period, but does that really qualify as the golden age?

Although this explanation answered lots of questions the young boys curiosity regarding the Golden Age Of Aviation remained with him. Then weeks later, while visiting his grandfather, the still curious boy asked his grandfather the same question. Surprisingly the response he got was totally unexpected and quite different.

The elderly grandfather looked fondly at his grandson and a smile came across his aging and time worn face. The grandfather gently held his grandson's hand and said: The true meaning of The Golden Age Of Aviation cannot be adequately described in a history book or found on a internet web site. He went on to state that Aviation's Golden Age is more than a technological or historical event especially to ones that have lived through and experienced it. He explained that it was a time when the spirit, the imagination, and fascination became one. In fact, going on to say it included all of the senses of wonder that nature gave us. This explanation seemed to confuse his young grandson. Observing his reaction the grandfather simply said: let me explain.

The Golden Age Of Aviation was a time when a boy would run to a nearby window or hurry out the front door hoping to see the airplane that just flew overhead. He wanted to identify what kind of airplane it was. Was it a civilian or military airplane? Maybe it was a fast pursuit plane, or a big bomber. Did it have one wing or two? What color was it? Was it a modern airplane with retractable landing gear? Later as the boys knowledge of aviation increased ,he began to identify an airplane by the sound of its "motor." Whether it was a big radial or an in line aircraft engine.

The Golden Age was the excitement of seeing a huge four engine airplane for the first time. The young boy thought he may never pilot a large four engine airplane like this, but he would be happy just to fly in it.

The Golden Age was when a young boy would ask his father for 35 cents to purchase a special edition of an aviation magazine featuring colored photos of US Army Air C or Navy planes in flight. He saw a picture of six or seven gleeming silver Navy dive bombers flying in echelon formation. There also were pictures of colorful Navy biplanes landing on an aircraft carrier. On another page, he saw a photo of a camouflaged Army Plane participating in peace time war games.

The Golden Age Was when a boy saw photographs of aircraft flying in formation among the clouds, and the pilots visible with their canopy's open. And he dreamed that some day, he to would be a pilot and wear the brown leather flight jacket with a leather flying helmet and goggles.

The Golden Age Was when a boy eagerly learned to identify airplanes by their name including wildcats, Helldivers , Devastators, and Vindicators.

The golden Age was when a young boy would patiently build a model airplane with balsa wood and tissue paper, and was delighted with his hand built creation and even more so when it flew for the first time. Then would hang it proudly hang it from the ceiling of his bedroom. the airplane swaying over his bed would be the last thing he saw at night, and the first thing he would observe in the morning.

The Golden Age was when a boy caught his first glance of a huge airship that seemed to majestically sail through the air. And realized how lucky the crew was to be aloft in that gigantic "Airship."

The Golden Age was when a young boy would go to the local airport to see airplanes. The colors of the airplanes seemed to be brilliant, and to a child, the colors seemed to have been borrowed from the sky and a rainbow. He also noticed that most of the airplanes had tail wheels. This angle positioned the wings of the airplanes upward, creating the illusion that these motionless airplanes were eager to fly.

The Golden Age was when a boy would be lifted up by an adult to glance inquisitively into the open cockpit of and airplane and see the many instruments, levers knobs and controls.Upon inspection he could not help but notice the uncomfortable metal bucket seat the pilot sat on along with a parachute. As he departed, he associated the airplanes windswept scent of gasoline and hot oil with his love of airplanes.

The Golden Age was when a boy would go to the local airport hoping to get a ride in an airplane. If he got lucky, a pilot would ask the boy if he would like a ride in the back seat of a Piper Cub.

The Golden Age was a time when pilots names appeared often in newspapers reporting on their aerial achievements, or their mishaps. The names included: Lindbergh, Earhart, Chamberlin, Post, Corrigan, and others.

The Golden Age was when a boy saw photos of the many colorful and distinctive racing planes of the day competing in the National Air Races. Soon he learned the names of the famous aviators who raced these speeding planes low to the ground and around the pylons. Their names became legendary to him. They included Davis. Doolittle, Fuller, Hawks, Turner, Wedell, and Whittman. To an impressionable young boy, they were more than pilots they were legends, and aerial daredevils.

The Golden Age was watching exciting airplane movies on Saturdays at the local movie theater, each film increasing a boys interest and fascination with aviation and airplanes.

The Golden Age was a time when American Military Aircraft with stars on their wings as a predecessor for a boys love of flag country and patriotism.

As his grandfather's voice faded, the grandson looked knowingly at his grandfather and noticed his eyes seemed to sparkle. I also appeared his grandfather had tears in the corner of his eyes. The boy purposely increased the grip on his grandfathers hand to signify goodby, and he slowly moved away.

As the grand son departed, he smiled at his grandfather, remembering that the "old man" still carries a well worn tattered pilot's certificate in his wallet. he glanced again at his grandfather who remained sitting and was apparently deep in thought of his past aviation experiences.

Then the boy said: "Thanks grandpa now I understand what was truly... The Golden Age Of Aviation...

Dave

Latest posts

Back