The Nationals is going back to Oshkosh

Discussion in 'Events Calendar' started by Bond007, Dec 8, 2017.

Help Support Biplane Forum by donating using the link above.
  1. Dec 8, 2017 #1

Bond007

Bond007

Bond007

Registered Users

The IAC board voted and the nationals will be at Oshkosh again next year
    I guess they are a gluten for punishment
    Danny 007

2. Dec 8, 2017 #2

Dennis Flamini

Dennis Flamini

Dennis Flamini

Danny,
    i guess you had to be there to appreciate it!
    How many pilots do you know who have been inverted over Oshkosh?
    You all have another chance.

smizo likes this.
  3. Dec 8, 2017 #3

Bond007

Bond007

Bond007

Registered Users

Everybody I talked to said it was a nightmare
    Danny 007

smizo and ssmdive like this.
  4. Dec 8, 2017 #4

cwilliamrose

cwilliamrose

cwilliamrose

Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

My smart a$$ comment was going to be;

Maybe whatever is going on in Sherman will fall flat on its face and the Nationals can go back where it belongs.

But that would make me sound like an old fart so I won't say it.

bipe215 and Dennis5678 like this.
  5. Dec 8, 2017 #5

Bond007

Bond007

Bond007

Registered Users

Union city would have been a great place ,and powers that be there ,darn sure wanted it there
    Danny 007

6. Dec 8, 2017 #6

PittsDriver68

PittsDriver68

PittsDriver68

I actually had a good experience at OSH. But I was aware that other folks ran over the speed bumps and ran interference ahead of me. Every day got better. Most of the issues looked to me to be of the "I never thought of that ?!" type. Having done it once. The staff at OSH have no excuse for not doing better next time. We shall see.

Don't stay at the OSH Motel 6. Kevin E's choice of hotel, overlooking the airport, was twice as expensive but looked like what you got was well worth the $$.

And John Smutny deserves a huge round of applause and all of our support for volunteering to run the 2018 Nationals.

And having the entire OSH airspace to yourself to fly your acro, if only for 4 minutes at a time, is special. The list of pilots who have done aerobatics over OSH is small. Got that box on my bucket list checked.

Best of luck,

Wes

kevgofly likes this.
  7. Dec 8, 2017 #7

flyrite

flyrite

flyrite

Not having been there nor will be for the next one , I can say one thing for an absolute certainty. in my area (south east) ,The overwhelming majority feel as though a small group of folk who are out of touch with the base of the club which is the overwhelming majority, are making this decision!
    Also , the best that could be done for the club would be for a venue that would basically say ...Here are the keys to the airport , Lock up when you leave.
    The EAA is never gonna do that. Also the Leadership misrepresented the reason they gave for postponing the decision awhile back. That they were in talks to see if some major things could be accommodated (movement of the box, and a few other issues) and those things are still not done.
    I guess the idea of saying you've flown at osh. Means more to some than others. ....Me , I'm about the flying and fellowship and any venue that maximizes those points are what draws me .

Tony

Bond007 likes this.
  8. Dec 8, 2017 #8

acropilotbret

acropilotbret

acropilotbret

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

I heard a lot of “man there were horror stories” from everywhere but what made this such a bad nationals? Wasn’t the last Sherman based nationals a complete $hit show as well?

9. Dec 8, 2017 #9

PittsDriver68

PittsDriver68

PittsDriver68

The last Texas Nationals had lots of issues with getting competitors through the box. The tower at KGYI has a lot more non-aerobatic traffic coming and going than they used to.

Texas was great because the host Mike Plyler, I think, essentially donated the use of the huge WW II hangar and the ramp area that he leased. You could drive your car or motor home right up to the hangar, fire up your gas grill, and camp or socialize. Passerby's could stop, pull up to the fence, and watch. At OSH, the on airport socializing was severely restricted. Had to go off airport an no one knew the area well enough to organize an evening gathering location. That may be better next year.

Lots of first year issues that smart folks can address next year.

It would be great if a town would give IAC an airport for a week. But the best location would be as close to the west coast as to the east coast. That airport would have to have hangar space for 70 or more airplanes, a helpful FBO, good hotels, a banquet facility, etc. Is there such an airport and town in Kansas, or Missouri?

Best of luck,

Wes

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
  10. Dec 8, 2017 #10

ndlakesdreamer

ndlakesdreamer

ndlakesdreamer

I can think of several in Kansas that fit the bill. close to town, long runways with light traffic, camping space and easy going FBO's. Doesn't help that I live in ND there needs to be someone local to lead the sales pitch

11. Dec 8, 2017 #11

flyrite

flyrite

flyrite

Wes , Union City would be just as close for the west coast guys as Osh. . as well as the town offered LARGE incentives to have it there. Matter of fact . It's my understanding that someone from the town came and made a pitch on their behalf ! Mike Rinker who is based there and an officer with IAC offered everything that was available at Sherman {as could be with different venues} .
    This decision to go back to Osh. is based on one thing and one thing only and here it is....................To massage one or two officers who attend very very few regional events through the year, who like to hob-nob at the "head of the table !
    Were some of our officers to be more active in actually attending more contests they would get a feel for what the club members expect when they commit to patronize a venue . But presently, is APPEARS to demonstrate a severe disconnect with the majority of the club !

12. Dec 8, 2017 #12

Lotahp1

Lotahp1

Lotahp1

Supporting Member Supporting Member

What about coming back to Yukon Oklahoma. CE Page held the 1996 World Aerobatic Championship. Still a lightly used airport just outside of OKC.

Tomcat and Steve H like this.
  13. Dec 8, 2017 #13

PittsDriver68

PittsDriver68

PittsDriver68

I like Tennessee and have spent some quality time around Knoxville.

That said, KUCY is 892nm from NH and 1500nm from KEPH in WA. Both Texas and OSH are a better deal for our friends on the west coast.

I will suggest that, as noted in a previous post, a more central airport would be great if all of the facilities were there and the local FBO and off airport business would be comfortable with hosting. But to be successful, a local champion will have to put together the package and be contest director.

Looking at the logistics and politics, I would suggest that someone would start by bidding on hosting and IAC East Championship or IAC West Championship contest at one of the candidate central airports. Doing that successfully could be a step towards making a convincing case for hosting Nationals.

I don't think that IAC is going back to Texas. But that does not mean that your IAC directors, offered a credible central US location, with demonstrated history of hosting a larger contest, can't be swayed to move from OSH. It will be interesting how the discussion goes this time next year.

I will also note that IAC Directors are elected. Not enough IAC members vote. At the next election, if you will step up, or you know someone who you think can do a better job than an incumbent, organize votes. Politics 101.

Think long term.

Wes

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
    Taildragger likes this.
  14. Dec 8, 2017 #14

flyrite

flyrite

flyrite

Or make the present Directors more accountable for their votes ..... I am constantly amazed at the way votes are cast the way they are.......I.E. to support one or two (maybe a very few more) folk that are motivated by pomp and circumstance more than majority interests !
    BUT, I agree Wes , Not nearly enough members take an interest enough to even let their opinions known. That's why some directors vote the way they do , They count on the apathy of the flock .

15. Dec 8, 2017 #15

PittsDriver68

PittsDriver68

PittsDriver68

"You all have another chance."

Dennis and Cameron can work on moving up in their categories in 2018. Just showing up at Nationals moves you into the top 5% of competitors.

Best of luck,

Wes

16. Dec 8, 2017 #16

Flybipe

Flybipe

Flybipe

There were many folks in the Northwest that wanted to keep the Nationals at Oshkosh because it was closer than Union City albeit still farther than Texas, and because the alternative being proposed was the only other choice being proposed.

No pomp and circumstance in that.

Nonetheless, I appreciate the passion on both sides of the argument, this is after all, our organization to make of it what we will.

Mike’s call for volunteers says it all, whether it’s at a local contest, the Nationals or on the Board of Directors. I know I will be contacting Smutny to see how I can help make next years Nationals better.

17. Dec 9, 2017 #17

Taildragger

Taildragger

Taildragger

Thanks for your reasonable take, Wes.

Sounds to me like some first year growing pains combined with some folks determined to hate the new location.

18. Dec 9, 2017 #18

EAABipe40FF

EAABipe40FF

EAABipe40FF

Registered Users Supporting Member

'zornglass' via aerobatics aerobatics@googlegroups.com.
    To aerobatics Dec 8 at 12:35 PM

Because I'm convinced that an informed membership is better represented as Directors cast their votes, And because this is the best medium for doing that , Thought I would tell my Director THANKS for your representing your regions interest as you have. I'm also convinced that yours was and is the MAJORITY of the Clubs position on this issue. But as you so eloquently stated and requested , I to hope for a successful and FUN Nationals ,even if the venue could have been better chosen for the membership . Below is some of his report to his region...........

It seems that the experience that participants in the 2017 Nationals at Oshkosh ranged from totally dissatisfied to totally satisfied and everywhere between the two extremes. The vote by the IAC leadership reflected that diversity and the vote was very close. The vote was 7 to 7 until IAC President, Mike Heuer cast the deciding vote in favor of returning to OSH in 2018. (For the record, I voted to move the Nationals to Union City; a vote that reflected the majority of opinion in the South Central region that I represent.) Now that the decision is made, I will support the Oshkosh event and do everything I can to help it become a success. Yes, there were some major problems at the 2017 Nationals. EAA CEO Jack Pelton has assured the IAC leadership that he was embarrassed by the poor support that EAA gave to the 2017 event and will do everything in his power to correct those problems that have been identified. I have no doubt that the EAA support of the 2018 Nationals will be top notch. What remains to be seen is the resolution of problems beyond the control of EAA, namely the location of the aerobatic box and tower operations. Contest Director, John Smutny has indicated that these issues can also be overcome. He will have to develop a strong relationship with the local FSDO and OSH tower in order to overcome these problem areas. I wish him well.

I would like to take this opportunity to commend Jo Ann Speer, manager of the Union City, Tennessee airport (KUCY). Jo Ann traveled to OSH to present UCY as an alternative to OSH for the 2018 Nationals at our November IAC Board meeting. I was totally impressed with her presentation and have also been impressed with the accolades for UCY from World and Regional competitors and volunteers who have experienced the UCY facilities over the past years.

Going forward, I hope that those who may have had a bad experience at the 2017 Nationals will keep an open mind and give OSH the second chance that it deserves. The dates are September 22-28, 2018. See you there!

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
  19. Dec 9, 2017 #19

TFF1

TFF1

TFF1

No skin in it but Union City has a decent size local airshow a year, the could do a good job handling it. Another that might work would be BYH an old SAC base. The RC guys used it last summer for their national precision aerobics championship.

RickRice likes this.
  20. Dec 9, 2017 #20

cwilliamrose

cwilliamrose

cwilliamrose

Not too bad. Is there hangar space there? All those mothballed airliners are in the way of potential emergency landing areas but there's still a lot of concrete to choose from. The box might sit over the golf course a little unless you move it north of the center of the runway......