• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Thorp T18 rebuild

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vic Zubot

Reaction score
I finished my Skybolt two years ago and have sense rebuilt a ground looped Thorp T18 together with my friend Ron. We installed new landing gear, new cleavland wheels and brakes, a new radio, some new instruments, rewired the entire aircraft, had the engine rebuilt and upgraded to a lycoming 320 from a O290 lycoming by adding O320 cylinders to the O290D. We also rebuilt one wing, installed a new air box, reworked the cowling, installed a new led headlight, got rid of the vacuum system and added a digital artificial horizon. We installed a new propellor which we discovered does not have enough pitch. So we ordered a new prop from Sensenich propellors a 68/72. The thorp is cursing at 170 mph at 2600 rpm with the prop we have now but only pulling 19 inches man. pressure. We also got rid of 40 lbs and the aircraft now weighs 896 lbs. It was tail heavy so we removed the battery from behind the seat and
IMGP0023.JPG
IMGP0024.JPG
IMGP0025.JPG
IMGP0027.JPG
IMGP0028.JPG
IMGP0029.JPG
IMGP0030.JPG
IMGP0031.JPG
IMGP0032.JPG
put a new PC680 battery on the firewall. We also repainted most of the aircraft and added wheel pants and fairings. We also recovered the seats and refurbished the interior not shown in the pictures.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back