• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Throttle Quadrant Part 1

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottly

Reaction score
So I was thinking about making my own throttle quadrant....I am pondering how and what to make it out of. Stupid as this sounds, for some reason i keptfocusing on knobs. I really want this thing to look "custom" and not store-bought, but it must be functional and light.

So, my borther-in-law (that I can't stand) was showing me his telescope. As I was looking at it, I noticed that it had a device used for aiming. On this devide were some of the nicest looking red, blue, andnatural billet aluminum knobs I have ever laid eyes on.

Well, sinceI am only making a two-lever, I would like a black ball and a red mixture knob....So I...um....borrowed his redknobs 'cause I had an idea.

Here's the telescope...

20080213_185843_throttle_quad_k.jpg

Notice the nice knobs. They have a shaft on them that is 3/4" long. "That must be removed", says I.

So I put them in the lathe and used a parting bit to remove them:

20080213_190047_throttle_quad_k.jpg

Then I wrapped the knobs in electrical tape (to prevent scarring of the anodizied finish) and chucked them in the lathe. I drilled and tapped them for 1/4" x 28studs. I them measured the studs and parted them to length, 3/8".

20080213_190258_throttle_quad_k.jpg

A little bit of loctite to hold them in and I have some schweeeet looking knobs for my throttle quads....

Brother-in-laws are good for something afterall...

Latest posts

Back