• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Tiedowns

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skybolt31

Registered Users
Reaction score
As I get ready for Oshkosh, I have been pondering tiedowns. I have the Claw setup for when I get to Oshkosh and am happy with that, but the first question is ropes or straps? The welded rings on the bottom of the wing can only handle 3/8" rope, I bought some links, like chain links with the threaded nut that fit in there and will handle 1/2" rope. Of course there is the question of nylon or polyester or polypropylene rope and a lot of people now use ratchet straps. I am planning on going with 1/2" nylon rope unless there is better experience with something else.

The second question I have is tying the plane down on the ramp somewhere along the way. Last year I was at Dodge County and a storm was coming, so I tied my plane down on the ramp. Unfortunately, the tiedown rings on the ground were very far apart compared to the Eagle wings. On top of that, the Eagle wings are very close to the ground, so the net result was that the ropes were almost parallel to the ground and I doubt would have worked that well to hold the plane down. Luckily, they were able to put my plane in the hangar so I did not have to test the theory. I checked the ramp at my airport and some of the tiedowns were 25' apart and some were 22' The Eagle tiedown rings are a little over 12' apart. So, does anyone have experience using these tiedowns on a ramp, are there any other possibilities such as tying to the wires where they go into the top wing?

Latest posts

Back