• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

TIG Welding Helmet/Goggles for Tight Spots

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwilliamrose

‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ 
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I have a question on welding helmets. Back in the old days before auto-dark helmets were common I used two different styles. One was a 'normal/passive' full face helmet and the other was a small one that only gave eye protection (it was for gas welding/brazing). The small one worked where the full face helmet would not fit or could not be flipped up. I added some aluminum panels to shield my face from UV burns and painted it black so the light wouldn't come through. Worked well enough back then....

Small TIG Welding Goggles.jpg

The black paint is partially worn off. I haven't used this one in years but I'm about to need them (or something better) again.

Currently I'm using a cheap auto-dark helmet sourced from Northern Tool about 15 years ago but I have no replacement for my tight quarters needs. What do you guys use for getting into tight spots? One thought I've had is to get a better full face auto-dark solution and cannibalize the old one to create a tight quarters auto-dark solution. This would be better than my old one because you wouldn't have to remove it to see when you're not welding and it would be adjustable in terms of strength so I wouldn't have to change shades manually.

Latest posts

Back