• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

TIG welding problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dano

Reaction score
I have been TIG welding a Pitts S1 fuselage for the last couple months and for the most part I could not be more pleased at the results. However, when I was welding the left side seat bottom tube to the small (about 3") support tube I ran into a very stage phenomenon. I had cleaned both ends with a sandpaper "flapper" and I ran an acetone soaked rag down the inside of the tube as well as wiping down the outside. I had tacked both ends as well as the support tube with no issues. I even fully welded both end of the tube just fine. When I went to fully weld the support tube the puddle was moving along nicely and then I heard a "POP" and the side of the puddle, not even the hottest point, had blown out! :eek::mad:I though maybe I stepped on the gas hose and stopped my shielding gas so I carefully closed the hole up and went on my way only to have it happed again and again. :mad:

I was able to move on to other joints and weld them up just fine so I don't think it is the welder or my gas. I have come to the conclusion that the pipe will need to me removed and a new one put in its place but I have no idea what could be causing the issue.:confused:

Any and all thoughts are welcome.

Thanks,
Dan

Latest posts

Back