• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Tim Gill SA-100 Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim Gill

Reaction score
I thought I'd start a new thread to document the build of my SA-100.

Last year I finished restoring a Grega GN-1 Aircamper (i.e., Pietenpol) and have been flying it a lot. The aerobatics bug bit me, and I picked up some parts from a previously started SA-100 build off of Barnstormers.

View media item 7357
The project came with a welded up, powder-coated fuse on the gear, tail feathers, firewall, fuel tank, and windshield, as well as a mostly-completed set of lower wings. However, I need to build up the upper wings as they were never completed.

It did come with a right-hand upper-wing remnant which has some severe dry rot and warping, but it is intact enough to grab some dimensions to make sure my new wing will be built to fit the cabene struts correctly. My first discovery is that the builder used 7/8" thick spars, not 1". Not quite sure this decision was made, but hopefully it won't compromise the design strength.

SPARS.jpg

This is mirrored in the Cabene bushings, which were built up Starduster Too-style. They confirm the spar dimension.

Bushings.jpg

I'm building up stick-built ribs in a simple MDF jig with 4mil plasic overlaid on top of the rib drawing. I carefully measured the spacing between the existing spars to make sure they match the drawing dimensions.

Rib Jig.jpg

spar blocks.jpg

The nose block pattern was carved by hand. I oriented the grain the wrong way, and had some chip-out, but it should serve as a good pattern for the router table to make 14 identical copies.

nose block.jpg

I am pre-bending capstrips on a simple Bingelis-style block. More pics to come once I have the first rib built up, after which I will confirm it fits the existing Cabene dimensions correctly before continuing.

Attachments

• IMG_0959.jpg
    IMG_0959.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 12

Latest posts

Back