• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Tips and tricks for removing Skybolt main fuel tank?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdharfst

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is a question for crowdsourcing from people that have removed a main fuel tank from a Skybolt.
I have already read all the threads the search function showed me for main tank removal.
Some great stuff there, especially the thread in 2019 on removing the main tank.
However, I didn't want to hijack those threads on removing the wing or other aspects.
This is really a question on what techniques other people successfully employed.
I am disassembling the fuselage to sandblast and paint it.
The pics show the top wing and removable cabane are off, and all fittings are removed.
The existing scratches on the tank at the same point of max interference makes me believe I have the tank in the right orientation.
I've liberally greased the interfering areas.
Gentle taps with a dead blow hammer help but not enough so far.
Before I apply any higher levels of force to the tank I'm wondering if:
1. anyone has used dry ice to shrink the tank locally
2. tried ratchet straps to a ceiling beam to provide a full consistent pull around the tank
3. apply light force between the frame parts to improve clearance, but not enough to yield anything
3. any other great ideas?

In the end I'll have to get it out and maybe just sucking it up and pushing hard will be the final solution.
Thanks for any help.
Mike

IMG_8821.JPG
IMG_8818.JPG

Latest posts

Back