• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

Titanium Tail Brace Wire Tabs

smizo

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I'm gearing up to run a set of Ti tail brace wire tab sets. These will be water jet cut and deburred in a vibratory tumbler. The dimensions are .125" thick, .750" wide, .875" between (2) .250" holes. Both ends full radius. Looking at $20 a piece. I know there was some interest in this lately. I'm running enough to sell 6 sets of 6. If your project requires more than 6 let me know. Lighter and cooler than 4130 or SS. Who's interested?

Tomcat

Reaction score
Hey Chris, I'm looking at ways to incorporate Ti on my plane as well, just because I think it will be cool to say "yeah, that tab is titanium" :D other than the fact that it is lighter and stronger than most materials.

But just to clarify what you wrote, you said $20 apiece, is that $20 per tab or $20 per set of 6?

Thanks,

smizo

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
$20 per piece, $120 a set of 6. Steen is looking for $14 a piece for SS ones. These will be just flat pieces, you will have to bend them to your required angles. Or, I could do it if you provide the angles you require if you don't have the capabilities to do it.....

cwilliamrose

‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ 
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
If you're using AN673 wires you'll need one of the two holes to be .19" diameter.

smizo

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Nope, tail wires are 674

crankyklingon

Reaction score
Some advice from my experience with Ti, be prepared to ream the holes. Those water jet cut parts from higher alloys tend to have a tapered kerf.
Assuming you are getting 6AL4V annealed? These can be stress relief annealed after forming and you'll get that funky blue color.
I used a lot of Ti on my plane, wing attach fittings, lots of bolts, rudder pedal adjusters, even my throttle and mixture levers!

cwilliamrose

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Nope, tail wires are 674
That was directed towards any others wanting to get in on this and may be building an S-1 or ??.

smizo

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Rob, I was wondering if I was going to have to. On some of the thicker 4130 stuff I had done I had to ream. Yes it is 6AL4V. Cool you incorporated so much of it into your plane, that's pretty neat.

Bill, I thought you were directing that at me asking if my tail wires are 3/16. Sorry for the confusion. I'm making a set for myself, another acro 2 builder and some model 12 guys so far. All the same dimensions. Not going to make 2 different kinds hoping a Pitts builder will buy a set. Smaller wire guys can bush it, I'm not drilling the sets I need out from 3/16. ;)

cwilliamrose

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I would think if this is a good idea for big airplanes like an AS2 or Model 12 it would even better for a smaller airplane where these parts are a bigger percentage of the total weight.

Anyway, this is about as close as it gets to a universal part but the smaller airplanes do require a smaller hole on one end. I don't blame you for not wanting to do any more cutting than is necessary!

smizo

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I'm ordering the Ti tomorrow and getting them cut next week, if I get anyone that wants a set with small holes I'll gladly revise the drawing and add them, but I just don't want to make them and have them lying around hoping someone will buy them someday......

mekstrand

Reaction score
Chris,

Are you planning on using stainless hardware on the hinges to avoid corrosion issues with the Ti brace wire tabs?

smizo

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Wasn't planning on it..... If they start to corrode in 10 years or so just replace the bolts, thats if they ever do...... that dissimilar metal corrosion doesn't happen over night that I've seen anyway.....

Last edited:

Latest posts