• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

To Pre-Coat or not to Pre-Coat?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snap

Registered Users
Reaction score
Hello everytbody,

time has come that I can finally cover the first parts - great fun working with Ceconite and the Randolph-System. The products usually used in Germany are ... say ... garbage compared with the products that are designed to work with Ceconite. I don't get why they still work with tautening dope etc - but that's another story.

I work 100% acc to the Manual from Jon Goldenbaum "Ceconite Covering 101". Great stuff, but leaves one big unanswered question for me: Do I have to pre-coat everything with nitrate dope (Rand-O-Proof) or not? At some point of the manual it is recommended for large wood surfaces, but what about control surfaces? Can I do them by only applying New Super Seam and putting the fabric directly into it? I did it that way with the hor stab, and it worked great. BUT: Do I need to cement the fabric to the ribs, too? I only cemented the fabric to the leading and trailing edge tube, as well as to the inner and outer rib. Thought that it should be enought to brush the nitrate dope throught the fabric at the inner ribs to attach them, is that correct or should I a) pre-coat them and but the fabric on after the pre-coat is dry or b) directly put the fabric into a coat of wet New Super Seam?

And if a) Should I pre-coat with New Super Seam and let it dry or should I pre-coat with Nitrate-Dope "Rand-O-Proof"?

Hope you guys can help and share your experience. Also knowledge of say Poly-Fiber or Stewarts System is appreciated, since they work more or less similar. Thank you!

48372913_268965427121330_7487975958146711552_n.jpg
48422545_568159466994456_2782617952829046784_n.jpg
48366965_2184416018543054_1680789675528159232_n.jpg

Latest posts

Back