• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Toot Wing Rib Production MI

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yankee-Toot

Reaction score
Hi All!

Well its been a full week of learning the true meaning of "building something each day" methodology that Tommy teaches. I'm happy to say that I have now completed 4 ribs with #5 in the jig and #6 waiting in the background. I'm finding that having all the pieces ready makes assembly go a bit faster.

I'm really stoked about this project and can't wait to show my dad when he gets home on Wednesday what this building a plane is all about. I have a feeling he will want his work bench back.

Cap Strip Bending 101: Soak the cap strips overnight, and before you put them in the jig soak for approximately 10 minutes in hot water. Slowly bend the piece around the jig with equal pressure. Walla! bent wood....its kinda likea caveman finding out about fire and what it can do for him.

Well that's about it for today....Sunday = #6 and #7 Oh yeah the deep freeze continues as does the snow....good weather to build ribs.
20090131_194417_Four_Ribs_D&

Fly Safe!

Matt
Yankee-Toot

Latest posts

Back