• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Toot Wing Ribs 101

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yankee-Toot

Reaction score
Hi All! from Dallas.... My flight down on the CRJ900 was in record time and I actually arrived early. Weather in DTW -16 degrees + wind-chill = -25 burrrrrrrrrr....Dallas on the other hand is a balmy 30 degrees and sunny.

As with any trip the first few hours are spent getting caught up with news and filling up your empty belly with "Southern Fried Chicken" done Texas style. Now that we have that done we are at the "Airplane Ranch" where
all the "Toot" magic happens.

One of the neat things I enjoy everytime I return to Texas is the amazing "historical" stories Tommy can tell "I heard a new one today--priceless". If and when we get an opportunity we hope to put these down for a good read. Now on to the important and singular reason that I came to Dallas....wing rib building.

We pulled out some of the parts and materials needed and I came to realize that this is not impossible, but will as Tommy says be"A Test". One rib a day...that's the goal upon my return to Michigan...so I really don't have any "meaty" information yet, but will blog again when I have learned the in's and out's ofa rib "Toot Style".

Take care,

Matt.

p.s. I'm in Texas so if I don't reply a.s.a.p ya know why.

Latest posts

Back