• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Top Overhaul on Lycoming O-360

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AaronM

Reaction score
All,

Have a Lycoming O-360 on my S-1S. While practicing prior to US Nationals the #2 cylinder swallowed an exhaust valve forcing a dead-stick landing. Fortunately, I made the runway with no damage to airplane or pilot.

I'm working the overhaul now. Looks like I need some new cylinders.

Here's the facts: I bought this airplane, did not build it.The engine has chrome plated cylinders. It's got about 300 hours on it. It's got 10.5-to-1 pistons which give me pretty damned high exhaust gas temperatures. It is running a PS-5C pressure carb (fuel injection is on the wish list) and Bendix magnetos. The other three exhaust valves are in pretty rough shape. You can see where they were starting to soften due to the elevated EGT. The #2 cylinder (that ate the valve) has some scuffs in the head and face of the piston that warrant replacement.

I need to replace the #2 kit and it's time to overhaul the other three top ends. The consideration here is, why not just replace all four? It's not that much more money to get really solid hardware. The question is:

1) Lycoming or Titan? Lycomings are a little over the $1000 mark each. Titans are a bit cheaper $860.

2) Which is going to give great longevity yet still perform?

3) Is there a better way?

The cam and crank are great. When the valved failed it did NOT go through the piston. Everything else on this engine looks really clean and invery good condition. It's only got 300 hours TTAF&E.

Sorry for vague questions. This group seems to have a tremendous knowledge base. Thanks in advance...

Latest posts

Back