• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Torque specs or what?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have been studying the Skybolt plans and builder's web sites for some time, and I have the EAA books on aircraft building, but I have yet to see any definitive info about torque specs for the various fittings bolted onto the wooden wings. Also, the spar attach bolts seem to be extra critical, but likewise there doesn't seem to be published info(that I can find)on how tight to make the attachments. Another critical bolted part is the I-strut, and I cringe when I think abouttightening up the streamline wires! I have always looked for and used publishedtorque specs when working on my car projects, but that kind of info seems to be lacking for homebuilt aircraft!

I can't believe the plans do not even hint at how tight to make the final assembly. This is way in the future for me, but it has been bugging me eversince I first started seriously considering this project. Is this information part of "biplane lore" that you find out when you get there, or am I missing something? Anybody else out there think something is missing?

Do the McKenzie newsletters cover this?

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back