• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Biplane Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Trade Angle Valve parts for Parallel parts

David Adam

Reaction score
I have a 200hp angle valve IO-360 that I’m going to convert to a parallel valve O/IO-360 for use in a Supercub. Our engine came out of a Mooney and has the forward facing horizontal flow lower sump case and the long tuned angle valve cylinder intake tubes. Does anyone know of a bottom mounted vertical flow lower sump case and intake tubes for parallel valve cylinders for sale or know of anyone in the Northwest that would like to trade parts. It’s my understanding that the Reno racers like the forward facing sumps because they get a little ram air effect? I’m changing over to parallel valve cylinders because the angle valve cylinders are a bear to try to fit in a Supercub cowling so I have the A/V intake tubes and sump available. Send me a private message if you know of someone interested.
Thanks in advance.

akt227

Reaction score
My understanding is that angle and parallel cylinders are not directly compatible and some machining will be required. Barrett has it figured out. You should talk to them.

Dennis Flamini

Supporting Member
Reaction score
David,
The exhaust won't fit either.
Dennis in Chicago

David Adam

Reaction score
The exhaust won't fit either...
There are a number of sources for 180 Lyc exhausts for Supercubs. Vetterman has a system that we’ll be using.
My understanding is that angle and parallel cylinders are not directly compatible and some machining will be required…
I believe the lower end of both the P/V and A/V 360s are the same. The A/V engine is basically a “Hemi” top end with tuned intake tubes and a unique sump case. If you swap out the sump, intake tubes and A/V cylinders with equivalent P/V components, it’s the same engine.

Thanks for the input.

Neil

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Angle valve engines have the exhaust studs turned opposite of the parallel valve.

David Adam

Reaction score
Angle valve engines have the exhaust studs turned opposite of the parallel valve.
Yes, there are quite a few defferences between the top ends of the A/V and P/V engines. That's why I'm converting my A/V engine to a P/V engine. It's a lot easier to install a P/V engine in a Supercub than it is an A/V engine. Lots of parts and support for the P/V, not so much for the A/V.

I'm still looking for an O-360 bottom mounted induction sump and intake tubes if anyone knows of any available.

Thanks in advance.

akt227

Reaction score
I'd be interested in the details when you get it done. It would be nice to know what works and what doesn't.

David Adam

Reaction score
My understanding is...some machining will be required...
I have to be honest, I’ve been thinking about (Read: Worrying) about the 180hp P/V O-360 having a different configuration case than my IO-360 A1A A/V engine so I looked it up this morning. I was hoping they’d at least be similar enough to be interchangeable but as it turns out, they’re the EXACT same part number, 11B20061-1SL. The P/V O-360 parts catalog, PC-306-7 and the A/V IO-360 parts catalog, PC-406-1 list the same part number for both, thank goodness. It looks as if it should be a bolt on conversion hopefully. I cool thing is the fact that we’ll still have the provisions for a C/S prop if we decide to go that direction in the future. I’ll post updates as they come along.

Latest posts