• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Transparent floor - Lexan VS Plexi Vs ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xavier

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I know the pros and cons have been discussed already in various topics but despite a thorough look with the search function I could not get a clear picture...
My S1S has what is I believe a Lexan belly. Sadly between recurrent fuel spray from the vent line and less than ideal installation (I suspect too tight holes), it is badly cracked and will need replacement. The said panels just replace the equivalent alum panels from the plans (I-224-33 & 28, because you asked :p ) and therefore include bends.

The questions are therefore as follows :

-> What material would you suggest ? From what I got Lexan will bend easily, but will crack fast with fuel spray ; Plexi will be a bit more fuel resistant, but hard to bend without cracking (hot air gun ?) ; obviously both will crack if holes don't allow enough play or are drilled with too sharp bits...

-> What thickness ? The current ones looks far too thick and heavy to me. Something like 1/8". But maybe that's what is needed ? For ref the alum there according to the plans is .032

And of course more than happy to learn about any other option I may have not considered out of ignorance !

Thanks for the help !

Xavier

Latest posts

Back